Yay! It is another snow day in Northern Virginia. In between calls of "mom, MOM," I am catching up on some reading. I just started this year's Newberry Winner: Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool and am enjoying being snowed in with a great story.
I also caught up on some American Library Association reading and saw a list of the Alex Awards. Alex Awards are given to the 10 best adult books that appeal to teen audiences by the American Library Association. I thought my several friends with pre-teen and teens might want to see these titles. Please know that I haven't read even one of these books. I cannot endorse any of them yet. If you read one or if your child read's one or more, please let me know what thoughts are on the book(s).
- The Reaper's are Angels: A Novel by Alden Bell
- The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake: A Novel by Aimee Bender
- The House of Tomorrow by Peter Bognanni
- Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue
- The Vanishing of Katharina Linden: A Novel by Helen Grant
- The Radleys by Matt Haig
- The Lock Artists by Steve Hamilton
- Girl in Transition by Jean Kwok
- Breaking Night: A Memoir of Forgiveness, Survival and My Journey from Homeless to Harvard by Liz Murray.
- The Boy Who Couldn't Sleep and Never Had To by DC Pierson
For an amazing and complete list of Youth Media awards presented at the American Library Association Mid-Winter Conference 2011, go to: http://www.ala.org/ala/newspresscenter/news/pr.cfm?id=6048