Monday, July 13, 2015



7/13/15 Writing challenge from Liz Scanlon author of The Great, Good Summer--which is getting lots of great reviews. Ms. Scanlon challenged us to write a twelve line poem in couplets or quatrain. It's not as easy as it looks and not all my rhymes are perfect. But, I'm happy enough with the draft to leave it for tinkering later. Thank you Liz Scanlon!


Letters in the Dust 1934

Nineteen hundred thirty-four
my name written in the dust
across my breakfast table
one finger a guilty brush.

Dirt blown in from Oklahoma
That was supposed to grow the corn
but boiled and sifted east on winds
dry as bones, sterile, full of scorn.

For farmers frantic to plant and sow
a crop, some food, a bit of life.
It’s been too long between our letters.
This is no good way to write.

Linda Mitchell all rights reserved

To see the Teachers Write Challenge on Kate Messner's blog go to:http://www.katemessner.com/teachers-write-7-13-15-mini-lesson-monday-with-liz-garton-scanlon/#respond 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!