Friday, July 17, 2015


Teachers Write guest author, Amy Fellner Dominy author of A Matter of Heart and Die for You, introduced us to character mapping. It's a deceptively simple exercise that really, really sparks insight into a story's character. In ten minutes I had some new ideas that I don't think I would have arrived at otherwise. Better yet? They add layers of conflict. Hooray Ms. Fellner Dominy!

Check out this game changing writing exercise for yourself at: http://ow.ly/PKipF



Duties
Mrs. Lesley

If Elliot hadn’t begged
a place for Alice at Guilder House
I wouldn’t have been saddled
with her care and keep.
   Your getting on in years, he said
    all that bending and lifting at Guilders’
    tsk, tsk, tsk, tsk
    I’d hate to bury you early, like your sister.
    I’ll cancel your bill if you train her.
This Depression makes for strange bedfellows.
I’ve half paid-off Francis’ funeral.
Elliot needn’t have offered such an exchange.
Daniels Funeral Home is no suitable
place for this snip of a girl.
Those big eyes in that delicate face,
so much like my Francis,
I didn’t stand a chance at saying no.
Now, I’ve got a job on my hands.
I do not believe in reincarnation.

Linda Mitchell 7/17/15 all rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!