Thursday, July 25, 2019

Road Home Haibun

Hello Poetry Friday!


First an update for friends interested in Pat Valdata's book, Where No Man Can Touch. You may contact Pat through her website contact link. If you have trouble, pm me for her e-mail address. 

I've been traveling with family. It's not travel where we go out to do...it's more long-distance sisters and brother, parents and grandchildren gathered together with good food, a pool and plenty of sitting space. 

This summer I've enjoyed Sarah Donovon's monthly writing challenge on her blog, Ethical ELA. A recent challenge was to write a travel tanka....which reminded me of a recent spate of haibun I'd written for Laura Shovan's Februrary (but this year, March, birthday writing celebration) and mean to get back to for revision.


See one of many definitions here: https://www.writersdigest.com/whats-new/haibun-poems-poetic-form


These beautiful photos on twitter of  my hometown prompted this haibun & tanka.


Twitter photo July 17th

Road Home


     It was done. Blaisha was several days into her journey, recalling events that led to her victory. Gran’s death had been the start, she thought. If Gran were still alive she wouldn’t have left caring for her to travel so far to the king’s court for the contest. At Gran’s burial, Alwin told her of the court's prize offered to the story teller that could best ease the king’s downcast mood and raging headaches.

     Blaisha had cared for Gran with herbs and stories these last three years. She believed she could sooth the king given a chance but the walk to court was days.  After the funeral, a unbearable silence pushed her to pack a bag and tie her sandals.

     By the time Blaisha was announced, His Majesty had listened to hundreds of stories. His royal head hung and doctors surrounded him with goblets of wine and handfuls of medicines. Blaisha walked forward, bowed low. A courtier asked for her story. Blaisha looked directly at the king and asked after his home, his mother and his first sweet love. 

     As the king and Blaisha talked, courtiers grew annoyed. Girl, come now, tell your story, demanded a noblewoman But, the king held up a hand. Blaisha listened and spoke, spooning responses to the king’s questions as honey. Finally, the king look up and smiled. Miss, I feel so much lighter, so much better. Thank you. You may claim the prize. Courtiers were baffled. The royal accountant stammered about needing time to arrange for the bag of gold.

     Now Blaisha held up a hand. Please, Your Highness, kind sirs and madams. I do not want gold. I ask instead that the hill on which I live and the valley below where I’ve buried my Gran be mine forever.


     It is done, declared the king.

Blaisha then turned to walk the days home to her valley where the hills met in celebration.

                          a road less traveled
                          threads through field to hill to sky
                          reckons each mile
                          kindly shade tree and cloud
                          that walks a traveler home

Photo from Twitter July 17

                         clouds bring news of rain
           .             to blue hills with summer sky
                         the pond laughs loudly
                         unafraid of storm or sky
                         summer’s blue paints its face

Our Poetry Friend and Teaching Author, Margaret Simon is hosting this week's round-up at Reflections on the Teche with an original poem and stolen title! Stop by for some cool summer reading.

18 comments:

  1. I loved your haibun during Laura's challenge, but this one is my favorite. With a tone of fairy tale and melancholy hope, it steals my heart. Please consider working on a manuscript of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had forgotten, but now you've reminded me of the wonderful stories you wrote for Laura's birthday challenge, and now, again, you've brought me into the story-telling world, but even more fun, connected to your family. This is great, Linda, making our connection to nature feels like we're all better taking that kind of journey. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, the fairy tale aspect of your haibun intertwines beautifully as it opens the door for a poetic touch. I like the idea of a travel tanks so I am going to play with that format. Thank you for your creative sparks to guide me on a journey of my own and for showcasing your tranquil countryside photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your talking clouds, laughing pond, and especially " summer’s blue paints it’s face," as your haibun ends in its tanka. Perhaps the courtiers wouldn't be so annoyed if they tuned in to the nature around them… Lovely combo, thanks Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work, Linda. I especially adored your road less travelled that walks a traveller home.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Captivating! I love the fairy tale that leads to the travel tanka. I may have to try a travel tanka now that I'm home from vacation this past week.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, I love the idea that shade and clouds can walk us home. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for sharing this fairy tale and your poem. I got lost in both of them, and then travelled off into Sarah Donovon's links you provided.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm familiar with haibun, but I never actually tried writing one. I love how you never shy away from a challenge, Linda! Your story swept me away, and then the tanka anchored me again.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how you rise up to each challenge, Linda! You stretch your creative muscles this way and that. Beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of a haibun, but I do believed you nailed it, and your hometown is absolutely beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is beautiful, Linda. I can see how your visit home inspired you. Your photos are stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have such a wonderful way with haibun! I'm always amazed and impressed by how you can create such a rich story so quickly and then wrap up with a poem that seems to have distilled the essence of it all. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooooh! Thinking of all the possibilities, Linda! This week I wrote a tanka inspired by Lawrence Ferlinghetti and was referred to haibun by my workshop teacher. Your haibun is a sign to try more, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing this lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful pictures and writing! Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I learned about haibun not too long ago from Poetry Friday friends. I love yours--about the healing power of story and the beauty of nature. It just doesn't get much better than that!

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!