Thursday, September 21, 2017

Poetry Friday: Hillwood Estate Visit

Today's Poetry Friday is hosted Amy Ludwig Vanderwater at her verdant Poem Farm

Amy is celebrating the publication of her newest book, Read! Read! Read!  (Wordsong 2017). Hooray!

I'm anxiously awaiting my copy to ... read. All accounts are that it is spectacular. Please drop by to pick some poems and enjoy the bounty she shares from her Poem Farm. 

On Sunday, I had a chance to visit Hillwood Estate in Washington, DC on the recommendation of my friend, Katie. This 25-acre estate was built and owned by Marjorie Merriweather Post who bequeathed it and her massive collections housed there to the Smithsonian Institution.

Hillwood writing prompts are infinite. I have a few haiku to share.


(c) Linda Mitchell


water, stone, and pine
beneath lantern light and glow
live sun and shadow

*

september maples
dressed for autumn’s masquerade.
fans 
flutter, gents bow. 

*

each pebble, each carp
sings 
a sky song -- earth’s
memory--heaven. 



Inscribed on the Friendship Walk at Hillwood:

“Friendship outstays the hurrying flight of years and aye abides through laughter and through tears.” – Tsarina Alexandra Federovna, the last empress of Russia.




17 comments:

  1. There is nothing quite like haiku for capturing the essence of a place or moment. I particularly like your first and last, Linda. They almost read like skipping chants.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are wonderful haiku, Linda! The second one feels delightfully whimsical and nostalgic to me. Hillwood Estate looks magnificent and obviously is inspiring. Your post reminds me to make sure I visit our local amazing botanical gardens before the season ends. Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been to Hillwood for a while, but a return visit is calling! I like those bowing gents and fluttering fans.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "autumn's masquerade" - LInda, I love that! Thank you for sharing! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I visit my daughter in Reston, Virginia, I will need to take a side trip to Hillwood Estate. Do you live close by? Your 2nd poem should be wrapped up and attached to the photo for my fall gallery. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Japanese garden is the perfect place for a ginkgo walk. The proof is in the pudding, or, in this case, the poem!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoyed your poems, Linda. Great inspiration from Hillwood. Love the gents bowing, the autumn masquerade. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those are beautiful haiku. The last one brought to mind Skye Boat Song, and I had to find a version and listen again. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1CTxa-FuKc

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your third haiku makes me think of stepping stones across a fish pond. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your haiku, Linda. I feel like I'm right in that magical garden.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Is there anything more intriguing than a Japanese garden? Meijer Garden, which is not too far from my house, has translations of Japanese poems (mostly haiku) carved in rocks in their spectacular Japanese garden. They go so well, as do yours.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks and sounds like a glorious place - thanks for sharing with us in words and pictures! -- "sky song" is a lovely phrase and image.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This haiku spoke to me as trees often do,
    "september maples
    dressed for autumn’s masquerade.
    fans flutter, gents bow."

    Looks like an amazing place to visit–a cornucopia of words and botanicals, thanks for sharing them with us!

    ReplyDelete
  14. A peaceful place & peaceful poems of a pretty place, Linda.
    They make me want to visit but I feel as if I've begun the journey through your words.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would love to walk with you through these gardens and write haiku. A lovely writing retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda! You were in my neighborhood soaking up the specialness of Hillwood! Inspiring indeed--the autumn masquerade is my favorite. Shall we dance?

    ReplyDelete
  17. "autumn's masquerade" - I will be thinking this all season. Your words are etched in my mind! Thank you!

    Thank you, too, for ordering my book. I was delighted to sign a copy for my faraway poemfriend. Peace. x

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!