Thursday, June 20, 2019

Clunker Exchange: Poetry Friday Starts Here

Hello Poets,

Welcome to Poetry Friday. I'm thrilled to host this first Friday of summer. I hope some joy for warm days and sunshine, flowers, fireflies, travel, camp fires and kicking-back comes right out of your screen and surrounds you this very moment. 


Recycled book art by Linda


I'll be collecting your link for our poetry exchange, the old fashioned way-- in the comments section. 

Please leave a word or two about what you are sharing and a link to your blog in a comment to this post. I will summarize links as they are added (or, you can scroll through the comments section to find links I haven't caught up to yet) in bunches of ten.


I hope you go from here to blog posts of old friends, find new friends and, I invite all to leave comments on blogs you visit to let poets & writers in our community know they aren't just whistling in the dark. 

Poetry Friday Posts
  • Carol at Beyond Literacy is celebrating grand-daughter Sierra's love of reading in a poem that fits TLD's monthly challenge.
  • Mary Lee offers a multi-media post I wish I had written about our new Poet Laureate Joy Harjo at A Year of Reading. Don't miss this one!
  • Tabatha at The Opposite of Indifference shares some really lovely lines of poetry from D.H. Lawrence
  • Kimberly Hutmacher Writes shares a review of Memphis, Martin and the Mountaintop by Alice Faye Duncan that has me putting the book on hold at my library right now.
  • Cheriee has found a treasure trove of logging poetry and is sharing some on Library Matters--which you know is super for her if you've been following her poems.
  • At Writing the World for Kids Laura Purdie Salas shares a riddle-ku as she's flying off to ALA.
  • Michelle Kogan introduces a Joy Harjo poem that is stunning and then mirrors the tone with an original. WOW
  • Catherine at Reading to the Core shares Joy Harjo's Eagle Poem and it is absolutely amazing. 
  • Matt at Radio Rhythm & Rhyme has much to celebrate with books on summer reading lists and poems coming out in two new anthologies. Congrats, Matt!
  • Michelle at Today's Little Ditty, shares a gorgeous poem, When You Wish Upon a Star that also fits Karen Boss' monthly challenge at TLD.
summer bike by Linda

  • Jone Rush McCulloch turned a request for toast making into a fabulous 'We Come From' poem for a class reunion (totally stealing this idea should the need arise to make a toast). 
  • Little Willow shares The Widening Sky by Ed Hirsch.
  • Rebecca at Sloth Reads shares a dreamy original poem celebrating midsummer.
  • Heidi at My Juicy Little Universe grew a poem from a kindergartener's seed...just the way poems should grow. LOVE it.
  • At Bookseedstudio, Jan has some great summer shorts for us!
  • Live Your Poem poet Irene pops in to share one of her favorite Joy Harjo poems as well as a rec to read Crazy Brave. I'm on it!
  • There is No Such Thing as a God Forsaken Town gives us some thoughts on just how April-ish June has been. Don't miss the Langston Hughes poem link near the end. Thanks, Ruth.
  • At A Journey Through the Pages, Kay has taken a clunker and turned it into a shining line of an original poem--that I love! Thanks, Kay. I knew some of these clunkers had some life in them.
  • Robin at Life on the Deckle Edge shares a super cute photo of her and her husband on their wedding day with some lines from Browning. sigh.
  • Carol's Corner is celebrating our new Poet Laureate with some of her work: 
Almost to the beach by Linda


  • At The Poem Farm, Amy  shares an original poem, There Was a Time, that also celebrates Joy Harjo. Make sure you stop by there and listen in.
  • Ramona gives us a beautiful quote by Joy Harjo that I quickly copied into my journal for future contemplation when writing. Stop by Pleasures from the Page to see it.
  • Sylvia at Poetry for Children celebrates 50 years of the Coretta Scott King Awards of poetry. What a stellar reading list for any of us! 
  • Christe of Wyman's Wonders took a clunker and turned it into a delightful original poem involving a cardinal that has been visiting her classroom.   
  • Fats shares a fairy tale inspired poem by Nakita Gills that makes me smile.
  • Reflections on the Teche by Margaret is full of joy over hatching ducklings. Precious!
  • Susan continues the adventures of Wondermonger, Tear Drop and Sleepy Knight. 

Re-cycled book art by Linda





I've combed through my journals and lifted a few dozen to share today. Clunkers are lines, thoughts and bits of poems on my cutting room floor. I can't do anything with them. But, maybe you can in today's... 



CLUNKER EXCHANGE


Directions:



  1. Take as many clunkers as you like
  2. Leave at least one clunker from your journal or files in exchange as a comment to this post.
  3. Use the clunker(s) you took as a prompt 
  4. Give permission for your shared clunker to be used as a prompt to make something new--even if the exact words are used.
  5. I/we would love to see your shiny new poem when you've finished--but its not necessary. Just knowing that the words are getting new life is reward in itself.


Clunkers I'm giving away for free



*Come here, let me tell you what it’s like

*I am self-taught in opportunity

*my hands are finely trained

*A graduation cap waits in your room

*our fortune teller waits

*A tale as old as time these two

*I had named them before turning

*foil wrapped treat 

*two feet free -- from shoes

*We poems, we’ve been around

*then, stars call

*the comfort of my bed at home envelopes me

*they will laugh with joy

*What if this poem didn’t care?

*then, stars call

*there’s always one… 

*As a ______, your ______ consumption should not be     

*Never did say after

*I retrieve these things from my future

*Think of it this way…

*As she walks the road 

*An out of shape poem went to the gym

*I, June, gave her to rest and picked up the pen.

*between paragraphs of parenting

*I am the sound of

*Here lies Shirley Shopper

*Pine boughs sweep green beyond

*handkerchiefs fall from laps of trees at a banquet

*Nellie was born in 1896

*the defense of personal space even if in a crowd

*a veil that comes with pulling an apron over one’s head.

*be changed

*80% of college freshmen change majors at least once

*Fresh dressed boys walked along the tracks and away from school

*wonders of a beehive

*first ___________ of summer

*flitting, fluttering, flying

*a recycled tin, a can of spray paint and some_____
*these old weeded books
*words spilled across the page, dark ink
*The kind of kid that inspired me to teach
*listened to the locking of belts and unlocking of breaks of the gurney
*the command, "next", was too big, too loud, to alive for the small crowded room
*white hair and glasses did not disguise the fun in his blue eyes
*made you believe you were as good as she saw you
*given as a birthday gift



40 comments:

  1. So clunkers it is! I will add one of yours to my to do list hoping an idea surfaces. Well, I was in Virginia this past weekend for my granddaughter's 2nd birthday. Time has flown by so quickly that I can hardly believe that Baby Sierra is now a big girl who knows what she wants. My poem today is an offering for Today's Little Ditty June challenge, dedicated to Sierra who seems to have acquired a penchant for reading (I'm clapping for her). She loves her books and reads to her "babies". My post "June Vibes" can be found at https://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2019/06/june-vibes.html. Thank you for hosting tonight, Linda. One of my visits to VA needs to be a meet-up with you. One of my many clunkers before my poem, "Art Class," was published in Janet and Sylvia's "Great Morning! Poems for School Leaders to Read Aloud". -Dream maker, I am!-

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I took "flitting, fluttering, flying".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll take, "Be changed" and leave you with "Shadows paint the grass." My poetry Friday post is a review of Alice Faye Duncan's book, Memphis, Mountain, and the Mountaintop. https://kimberlyhutmacherwrites.blogspot.com/2019/06/poetry-friday-memphis-martin-and.html Thanks for hosting this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My post celebrates the new Poet Laureate, Joy Hargo, and the opportunity for non-Native U.S. citizens to learn about the people from our Sovereign Native Nations. I've even got some music for all you Paul McCartney fans! :-)

    https://readingyear.blogspot.com/2019/06/poetry-friday-opportunity-to-learn.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Linda! Thanks for the clunkers. Here's a line I'm not using: You have made a hammock from / Two pieces of dental floss.
    I will try to use one of your clunkers for the swap poem I'm writing you :-)
    I featured poems by D.H.Lawrence today: https://tabathayeatts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Linda,
    I'll see if I have any clunkers to share. I've been doing lots of research about logging and discovered a wealth of verse written by lumberjacks. Today my post is about poetry written by loggers.

    https://dickenslibrary.blogspot.com/2019/06/poetry-friday-june-21-2019.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Linda, thank you for hosting! I am in with a riddle-ku at https://laurasalas.com/poems-for-teachers/poetry-blast-2019/ I'm off to ALA for the Poetry Blast, and I'm looking forward to seeing some Poetry Friday friends there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooh! I'm so glad you mentioned riddle-ku. I've got some plans for some soon. This is perfect timing. Off to read your blog.

      Delete
  8. Hi Linda, Lively list of Clunkers! Here's a line from my notebook: Looking forward to feeling
    the warm sun of summer…

    I'm also featuring Joy Harjo our new US Poet Laureate–a couple of her poems–and a poem of mine for the summer solstice. I"m taking this line, "I am the sound of." Thanks for hosting!
    here's my link
    :https://moreart4all.wordpress.com/2019/06/20/poetry-friday-new-poet-laureate-solstice-amis/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for hosting today, Linda! I'll have to come back to peruse your list of "clunkers." What a clever idea! I have another Joy Harjo poem to add to the celebration of her appointment as our new Poet Laureate.
    https://readingtothecore.wordpress.com/2019/06/20/poetry-friday-joy-harjos-eagle-poem/

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea, Linda! I'm sure some gems will come from all of this, too. Thanks for hosting, by the way! My blog post goes live shortly after midnight: https://wp.me/p2DEY3-2cU

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Linda, thanks for hosting this week! At Today's Little Ditty I'm sharing my own advice poem in response to Karen Boss' ditty challenge. It's called "When You Wish upon a Star" https://michellehbarnes.blogspot.com/2019/06/dmc-when-you-wish-upon-star-by-michelle.html

    I haven't selected a clunker yet, but here's the one I'm offering: "yours was always purple".

    ReplyDelete
  12. Class of 1974: https://wp.me/piUJM-3do Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for hosting! I shared a piece of The Widening Sky by Edward Hirsch at my blog, Bildungsroman.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for hosting! I will have to revisit your clunker idea. I've posted a poem in celebration of the Summer Solstice: https://rebeccaherzog.com/2019/06/21/poetry-friday-summer-solstice/

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh my goodness what fun! My post is about the solstice, about being here now under the summer sun. https://myjuicylittleuniverse.blogspot.com/2019/06/hallelujah-solstice.html

    And my clunker to share is "hints I could have taken". I think I'll pluck this one from the list: "a veil that comes with pulling an apron over one's head." Thanks for hosting, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dear Linda! You define creativity, vitality & moxie! I come here to drink in your wisdom & also flow away with a big dose of tra-la-la. Just what the doctor ordered. Everything about your made by hand flip flops & summer flower lift me up. Thank you for the gifted lines. Will return with my URL at Bookseedstudio. Todays title is Summer Shorts & I'm just completing all the links, getting out the kinks, hoping there are no jinx.... xox
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  17. JGA again- my Bookseedstudio post Summer Shorts is up at this url:

    https://bookseedstudio.wordpress.com/2019/06/21/summer-shorts/

    Many thanks dear Linda of the groovy flippy floppies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure -- truly. Cutting up paper and making fun things with old books really relaxes me. I love paper crafting.

      Delete
  18. Linda, I love your recycled book art so much! Thank you for giving all these clunkers... I'm celebrating Joy Harjo today with a favorite poem of hers. https://irenelatham.blogspot.com/2019/06/remember-you-are-this-universe.html

    ReplyDelete
  19. Morning, Linda! Just noticed that when you pasted my link into your post, part of it dropped off. It's not working. Would you please cut and paste it again? Thanks! https://michellehbarnes.blogspot.com/2019/06/dmc-when-you-wish-upon-star-by-michelle.html

    ReplyDelete
  20. Here's my contribution, and I'll be back later to read yours and everyone else's! https://thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com/2019/06/poetry-friday-rain.html

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thank you for hosting today! And for providing such an abundance of inspiration. I took one of your lines - then stars call - to write a poem for my post today at http://kaymcgriff.edublogs.org/2019/06/21/poetry-friday-then-stars-call/. There might even be a second one coming just from that line.
    Here's my offering: I'm not a magician.

    ReplyDelete
  22. LOVE the collages! And your clunker exchange! And your summer-fueled enthusiasm! Thanks so much for hosting, Linda. I'm finally in (after internet woes) with a few Browning lines and a toss of the veil for our 35th wedding anniversary on Sat. Happy Solstice!
    http://www.robynhoodblack.com/blog/posts/34332

    ReplyDelete
  23. Linda, thank you for hosting today. I love the idea of clunkers. I will look through my notebook and be back. I'm in with a couple of Joy Harjo poems. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/06/19/books/joy-harjo-poet-laureate.html

    ReplyDelete
  24. As a fellow Oklahoman, I'm celebrating Joy Harjo's appointment as US Poet Laureate and sharing one of my favorite poems by her.
    https://pleasuresfromthepage.blogspot.com/2019/06/poetry-friday-celebrating-our-newest-us.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks for hosting, Linda. I love your "clunkers" and the art that goes with them, too!
    My post this week is a tribute to the Coretta Scott King Award and all the works of poetry it has honored over its 50 year history! https://poetryforchildren.blogspot.com/2019/06/coretta-scott-king-award-honor-poetry.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh man, Linda! i wasn't going to post this week, as I'm completely spent from this year and yesterday was my last day. HOWEVER, it's your hosting week and it's clunkers, and I can't resist! I borrowed one -- as she walks the road -- and used it in a poem about cardinals that keep calling to me or at me. Not sure which! I've also shared a clunker. Read on, and thanks for hosting. xx Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/2019/06/21/kicking-a-clunker-down-the-road-poetryfriday/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you joined....a lovely poem you wrote!

      Delete
  27. Here is my clunker to share, bits of stardust strutting about. Hope someone can put it to use.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Thank you for hosting this week. Here's Fats' contribution for GatheringBooks:
    https://gatheringbooks.org/2019/06/21/poetry-friday-girls-of-the-wild-by-nikita-gill/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Sorry I'm so late getting this post up. Our wood duck eggs hatched yesterday and today was Jump Day. https://reflectionsontheteche.com/2019/06/21/poetry-friday-welcome-ducklings/

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love the idea of sharing clunkers (and thanks for sharing yours and hosting, too)--but I'm too tired to do take or give any tonight. But here's my post--it's a continuing story with poems and art about the Wondermonger who journeys to the Land of Crystal Caves to save the stories that are being forgotten. Today she meets Tear Drop/TD Not-Enuf: https://www.soulblossomliving.com/tear-drop-joins-wondermonger/stories/

    ReplyDelete
  31. Kudos to you for a crafty, creative post! I'm not able to participate this week, but I'm tucking a couple of clunkers in my notebook to take away with me on my journey. I love your re-cycled book art!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hugs, Molly! Thanks for stopping by. I know it's a crazy busy time. Have fun and learn lots on your journey.

      Delete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!