Thursday, June 24, 2021

Poetry Friday HQ &. Clunker Exchange

 Welcome poets!

It's good to see you ready to kick off your weekend with some poetry. 

Mr. Linky is all the way down at the end of this post if you would like to skip to it. I  have a couple of items to share.

1. 

I double booked. Oi! About the end of winter, I was pining for my college friends. I got in touch and begged for a get together...asap..no matter what! As you can imagine, the schedules of busy women including a college professor, school administrator, public school librarian, and full-time mother--teaching a full schedule of private piano lessons are not easy to line up. So, I quickly agreed to the first weekend that we could all meet.

annnnnnd that's this weekend. Gulp!

I thought about switching Poetry Friday hosting duties with someone else. I've done that before. But, honestly, there's never a time that doesn't impact something else. 

You might wonder, "Why are you telling me this?" 

I'm actually out-of-pocket right now. I'll be reading posts as I can get to them. Please understand it might be later than the typically punctual visit of a Poetry Friday host.


2. 

For the past couple of years, I've held a clunker exchange. It's pretty fun and the rules are simple.


I'm offering you as many of my clunker lines listed below as you would like to tinker with in exchange for one (or as many as you wish) of your clunkers. Your clunker might be a pot of gold for me! Please drop your donated clunker in the comment section below. 

I'd love to know what line you are taking from me. But, it's not necessary. I'll see if I can wrangle some verse from clunker lines that you all leave.




Clunkers: Take some ... leave some ... make them work!

  • my parents wanted to see Gerald Ford speak from the steps of a plane 

  • August is long of light
  •  In a large stockpot
  • Hog farmers and hop growers
  • a toast of fine India rum 
  • debutant called forth 
  • presented as woman-ready 
  • first, of the catechism, I read 
  • I shake the flame out of my matchstick 
  • Sun sings, give me some sugar 
  • This moon has stayed out late again 
  • A year, or maybe a century ago 
  • Trees turned so orange the road looked blue 
  • Look at these names, these fames, these… 
  • Hungry wolves howl 
  • Susan B. Anthony’s gravestone is covered with “I voted” stickers 

  • The half-life of Halloween 
  • The price tag always lies 
  • what she heard fell “far short” of 
  • sycamore roots gossip 
  • found a bit of sunflower 
  • Sometimes, rules are laid down 
  • Gardeners and poets shuffle 

3. Hamish plods on into summer. He's visited with poet-politician, Sorojini Naidu in India. See at his padlet.




Found on Pinterest




18 comments:

  1. How is it possible that I'm first? Oh, well, I get first dibs on clunkers. I'll take "I shake the flame out of my matchstick" in exchange for "bike chain grease on my calf." (I got the better deal...)

    Thanks for hosting, and hooray for your "reunion."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the old VW with Beetles, flowers and peace sign! I'll take "Gardeners and poets shuffle," and offer you… "Vast as the unseen seas bottom."

    Thanks for hosting Linda, and happy reunion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope you're having fun, Linda!! Thanks for hosting and giving us such great clunkers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Linda. Have fun with your friends! I don't know where this came from but here it is: "The creases you cause are long term." It wasn't a line I wanted to take further. Your "Sycamore roots gossip" is intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds to me that you're going to have "double-fun" this weekend, Linda! And I'm going to have my own fun with this clunker (tehe): "The price tag always lies". Here's one for you: "showing off like high-kicking chorus lines!" Thanks for hosting no matter the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for hosting. I will be returning with a clunker and grabbing one of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, thanks for hosting! Have a blessed time with your college friends. What fun! We are delighted for you, and will be thinking of you and all the fun you are having. As you might remember, I wrote a tanka for Margaret's weekly prompt about the Pacific Ocean. I wasn't happy with these last two lines, so I'm passing them off to you!

    Sunshine kisses on sea brows
    Cooling fresh on a hot day

    I'll take: "Susan B. Anthony’s gravestone is covered with “I voted” stickers," which is a lovely image.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, I love this Susan B. Anthony line, and it makes me want to do more research on her and the stickers covering her grave. I thought of them as jewels on her grave, so that was the main thing, but then as it got too long, I decided to write a whole tanka! Sorry, I went beyond my one-line. I would love to read more about what you wrote about Susan B. Anthony.

      “I voted” stickers
      bejewel the headstone of
      the pioneer who
      died before living her own
      Amendment. They vote for her.

      Delete
  8. Hi Linda. Thank you for hosting. You have presented a most interesting idea with your clunker exchange. I tend to want to bury mine and forget them, but you are -reimagining them. Someone else may see potential where we see something less engaging. I like that perspective. So, I will take 'Sometimes rules are laid down.' which I sense I can play with, in exchange for'The forest was assuming control.'

    ReplyDelete
  9. Savor your time off, Linda, and many thanks for making time to host us anyway. I'm chuckling at your clunker exchange idea---so fun. I'll snap up "A year, or maybe a century ago" and drop off "did you feed the baby?"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooh, I want to take, "The moon has stayed out late again." And I "give" you "darkness that shadows a life." ENJOY your getaway, Linda. One of the things I love about the Poetry Friday community is our adaptability :>)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda,
    I love your idea of a clunker exchange. I am taking "August is long of light" in exchange for "What if my hands turned dust to diamonds?"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda, thanks for hosting! I'm going to enjoy perusing the clunkers and witnessing the exchange!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda, thanks for hosting and providing another clunker challenge. My lines I lifted are at my post as your know but the poem is waiting to be revised and shared. I leave you with ;a line that needs finishing: summer dressed itself in. Have fun playing with this line after your reunion.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the idea of a clunker exchange... I'll have to get back to you on that!! Thank you for hosting today - and truly, enjoy your weekend with your friends. How lovely and rare, to actually get away to get together! And after a plague year? What a boon!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for hosting Linda. The clunker exchange is intriguing. I see a couple I like already. I'll have to mull them over first.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hmm, looking through your clunkers to see if I can do something for next week. Thanks for hosting! Have fun at your get together!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't picked one of your clunkers today, Linda, but I have one to share! "His unpainted cone of a body" -- yowza.

    Thank you for hosting today. Go have fun with your pals!!

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!