Friday, December 2, 2016

#haikuforhealing Every Day in December


Happy New Year! I made it across the finish line of this year and with a haiku each day in December in response to an invitation to write a daily #haikuforhealing with Mary Lee Hahn @ A Year of Reading

The practice of focusing thought each day on this short & sweet form was good for me. It gave me a reason to make sure I was noticing life...being present in it. After December 2nd, I began looking for images to pair with haiku. These are known as haiga. On Fridays, I would submit this haiku gallery for Poetry Friday, an online community of poetry sharing. You will see breaks in the gallery as those weeks are introduced.

I hope you enjoy the gallery of December moments below as much as I did and do. Cheers!

WTOP News " in 1879, the wizard of Menlo Park demonstrated his bright idea. A look at things that have happened on Dec. 31 in history." 12/31/16. 5:45 am.

Poetry Friday 12/30/16 Happy Eve to New Year's Eve! I will be spending time today thinking about the past year and choosing a new one-little-word for 2017. In 2016 I chose "listen". Isn't it amazing how often an idea pops up once you notice it? Oh, I had such a hard time listening over the past year...and I aim to do better next. For this past month, I've been adding a haiku a day to this gallery. Not only has it been a joy but it's been a tremendous centering experience. Many, many thanks to Mary Lee Hahn for the challenge. The haiku gallery is my offering for Poetry Friday with gratitude to Donna Smith at Mainly Write for hosting this week's Poetry Friday Round-Up




(c) Linda Mitchell


Common Ravens. Photo: Colleen Gara/Audubon Photography Awards The 2016 Audubon Photography Awards Winners." Audubon. National Audubon Society, 30 Nov. 2016. Web. 28 Dec. 2016.


(c) Linda Mitchell


c Linda Mitchell 


(c) Linda Mitchell. Photo: Network, The Fabric Shop. "Free Pattern – Rhythm & Blues Quilt from Red Rooster."FabTalk - It's All About Fabric. FabTaalk, 19 June 2009. Web. 26 Dec. 2016.


"Virginian Partridge." Audubon. National Audubon Society, 24 Aug. 2015. Web. 26 Dec. 2016.


Associated Press. "Associated Press." The National Herald. The National Herald, 23 Dec. 2016. Web. 25 Dec. 2016.



(c) Linda Mitchell




Christmas Eve already? Have you baked your cookies yet? My little neighbor girls have. Christmas is really for the children. xoxo

photo credit: Connie Thompson


It's Poetry Friday -- December 23, 2016. There's lots more poetry creativity and sharing at Buffy Silverman's blog. Thank you, Buffy!


click here to see the video



It's first day of winter break -- I'm having too much fun playing on fb & twitter!



Kucko, John. "Facebook." The Winter Solstice,. John Kucko Digital, 17 Dec. 2016. Web. 21 Dec. 2016.















(c) Linda Mitchell





Unsplash. "Free Image on Pixabay - Milky Way, Galaxy, Night, Sky." Free Photo: Milky Way, Galaxy, Night, Sky - Free Image on Pixabay - 984050. Pixabay, n.d. Web. 18 



Hubbard, Ben. "Aleppo Evacuation Suspended After 8,000 People Removed." The New York Times. The New York Times, 16 Dec. 2016. Web. 17 Dec. 2016. 






Bell, Vanessa. "Virginia Woolf - National Portrait Gallery." Home - National Portrait Gallery. National Portrait Gallery London, n.d. Web. 15 Dec. 2016. 









NDSU Extension. "North Dakota State University." Assessing Tree Damage - Burleigh County Extension. NDSU EXTENSION SERVICE - BURLEIGH COUNTY, 21 Dec. 2015. Web. 13 Dec. 2016.



(c) Linda Mitchell



(c) Linda Mitchell



(c) Linda Mitchel



(c) Linda Mitchell


***

Hooray! It's POETRY FRIDAY 12/10/16. So far, I've kept up with at least one #haikuforhealing each day of the month. It's fun and keeps my writing brain in the "on" position in this busy season. Even though some of these haiku are dashed off, I appreciate slowing down to consider each word when I can. It's a stillness that's delicious. 


Hop on over to Jone's blog, Check it Out for more Poetry Friday. Thanks for hosting, Jone!


(Linda Mitchell)




Today's #haikuforhealing  takes the last line of Margaret Simon's haiku from 12/9 as the first. Thank you, Margaret for the line, "poems stand in line". See all of Margaret's offerings at her blog: Reflections on the Teche. And Michelle at Today's Little Ditty has a list of a dozen participants.


Photo credit: Connie Thompson




photo: "USS Arizona Memorial." USS Arizona Memorial Tour. Pearl Harbor Historic Sites, n.d. Web. 06 Dec. 2016. 


The next two haiku are inspired by Mary Hahn's comment to Margaret Simon's haiku offering for Dec 5th, "We're on the same page". 





Lambert. "A Young Boy and Girl Sit in Front of a Christmas Tree, Singing Carols..." Getty Images. N.p., n.d. Web. 06 Dec. 2016.






photo credit: Bender, Peter. "Trees & Stars.jpg." Flickr. Yahoo!, 21 Oct. 2014. Web. 05 Dec. 2016. 



(c) Linda Mitchell



(c) Linda Mitchell 





December 3rd makes me think of the song...and Three French Hens. There are several ideas of the symbolism of the birds. The most authoritative, I think, is Catholic News Agency.

(c) Linda Mitchell




Taking the last line of Margaret Simon's December 1  #haikuforhealing  as the first line of today's offering. Would anyone like to take this last line and keep it going?


12/1/16

December enters

on sweeping sweet pines, sighing


love, peace, joy to you




More #haikuforhealing authors
Heidi Mordhorst at My Juicy Little Universe
Mary Lee Hahn at Poetrepository
Linda Mitchell at A Word Edgewise
Buffy Silverman at Buffy’s Blog
Jone Rush MacCulloch at DeoWriter
Diane Mayr, posted on Thursdays at Random Noodling
Julie Johnson at Raising Readers and Writers
Catherine Flynn at Reading to the Core
Carol Varsalona at Beyond LiteracyLink
Carol Wilcox at Carol’s Corner
Julianne Harmatz tweeting @jarhartz
Linda Baie at Teacher Dance
Michelle Heidenrich Barnes at Today’s Little Ditty

64 comments:

  1. rest, rest winter tide
    reach heights like the king tide
    but retreat and reflect

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just what I needed today. Beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think we are all hoping for that restful "winder tide", Linda. Beautiful, and that photo-wow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here's mine:

    rest, rest winter tide
    as I scatter his ashes
    the lunar pull lessens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooh I completely different direction....that lunar pull. lovely.

      Delete
  5. Such a feeling of peace in your haiku--and the photo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Linda, how beautiful and soothing! The follow-up haiku by Brenda and Jone are also wonderful. So glad to be writing with you this month.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The combination of your words and the photo. Wow.

    winter tide: rest, rest
    ignore moon's pull: lull, lull
    wave goodbye: surge, surge

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gorgeous! I've enjoyed the ones in the comments, too. Here's mine:

    rest, rest winter tide
    with our dearest dreams abide
    sustained until spring

    ReplyDelete
  9. rest, rest winter tide...
    there can be none for those
    with heads in the sand

    Can I say how much that postage stamp delights me? The subject, the colors, and the number 3 looks to extend the third hen's tail.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am hoping for snow, too! I enjoyed reading the offerings in the comments. I LOVE your last line!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keisha, I miss you this week....I hope you are well and have time for writing.

      Delete
  11. Love your winter tide haiku! Also love what you did with the 3 french hens. Such an interesting way of looking at that phrase!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful haiku offerings! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the haiku for Poetry Friday. I am stealing some lines. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love that you're linking up lines from others' words, Linda. All the words and pictures are wonderful. I've been writing too, and may come back to steal a line or two.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I so agree that poetry provides healing. Thanks for all these beautiful lines and images.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda, you're really running with this project! Some of my favorite lines include "each one of us a child" and "as close as wishes."

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are just wonderful, Linda. Loved scrolling through the lovely images and reading your words. :) I think my favorite is "winter branches, bare . . . "

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love how you've paired your haiku with images! My favorites are the pair that start with the same first line -- similar, but so different!

    Thank goodness for the 811's! Call 9-1-1 for emergencies of the body, but 8-1-1 for those of the soul and spirit!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Linda, you are having a wonderful time illustrating your haiku! All delicious, but I especially like "winter branches" and of course, "811". I'm not seeing these images popping up on Twitter, but I'm not finding YOU on Twitter at all. You'd be able to post them, if you wanted to take a minute to make an account.

    Thanks for all the positive feedback to mine, also. Very nice to have you in the mix!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah. I have had my setting set to private. I opened it up just now. Today's offering if for #Aleppo

      Delete
  20. Glad you will be posting your haiku a day on Twitter. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Linda, your pen has been busy this week, searching for the right word to evolve---and that it did. Thank you for your thoughtful gallery of haikus to ponder.

    ReplyDelete
  22. My favorite is haiku with bare branches and stars! Well done you, doing such creative work marrying pictures and words!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I picke up my parents address book at times and think of those who have passed.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That trio from Aleppo packs a punch...

    (I'm Mary Lee, not Mary)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah ha! I couldn't figure out where I had gone wrong with your name....until this morning. Got it and fixed it. Thanks.

      Delete
  25. The Aleppo sequence is so powerful and poignant. Looking back over all of these, I love how you've touched on so many different subjects, getting right to the heart of the matter. The "political ones" are so true, and I was just thinking the same thing as I went through my address book writing Christmas cards, and of course I wholeheartedly agree with your philosophy about eating cookies in one gulp. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I LOVE your latest, Linda— "Demeter knitting". You've managed to capture so much in so few words— the cold, the fear, the comfort of presence and mindfulness, the warmth of familiarity, an end, and a beginning. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
  27. This post is a work of art. I think my favorite is the three french hens, though. Three is a magic number, after all.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Demeter knitting is great, and I like that you wrote one for Aleppo. Will you keep going in January?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wow, so much goodness with your poems, Linda! 'Post-truth', really Oxford Dictionaries? Ugh. =)

    ReplyDelete
  30. So much beauty in both image and verse here, thanks so much. Food for the soul, this post definitely is.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Linda, be sure to find a few of your lovely #imagepoem haikus to grace the 2017 Winter Wonders Gallery. If you have one for Autumnventure send it over to me asap, please.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Solstice, Linda! I love that you are pairing each haiku with a picture. Lots of creativity here!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Leaning and longing, Linda. Winter solstice is such a hopeful day... I'm ready to turn back the dark!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Some lovely haikus with wonderful pictures, Linda! I particularly love the one about the Genesee River with its icy crown.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Hi, Linda - your poems certainly capture the ranges of emotions we drift in and out of each day. Thank you for the global views and reminders; we're all connected, aren't we? The lighthearted ones bring welcome smiles. ["Crepuscular" is one of my all-time favorite words!]
    And, yes, let's keeping leaning into the light...

    ReplyDelete
  36. I relate so well to your poems, Linda. Thanks for sharing them on Twitter. I am reading every day. How are you making the images?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm embarrassed to say on power point! I really do need to learn Cava or another image maker....but I tend to stick with what I know. I copied your list of poets from your blog today. I too enjoy each of your contributions and try to keep up with you -- you prolific poet, you. But my life and speed of my writing are a bit slower. This project has had the perfect touch of healing for me. Enjoy this weekend full of love and family and remembrance of what we all long for.

      Delete
  37. Quite an impressive showing, Linda. Brava! I think my favorite is the top-ten. Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  38. These are fabulous, Linda! Each one is put together so perfectly. I enjoy visiting you each week. I wish you a very merry holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Linda, these are wonderful--a treat for the eyes as well as the mind and spirit! The ones for Aleppo touch me after seeing the scenes on the news. (May Christmas peace come to Aleppo!) Wishing you a very happy Christmas celebration with your loved ones!

    ReplyDelete
  40. I remember baking with my mother every Christmas when I was growing up - now that we live in different cities I really miss those happy days!

    ReplyDelete
  41. So many bright lights extinguished this year... and now add Carrie Fisher to the list. So sad. You've created quite an impressive illustrated haiku album here this month, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  42. girls with superpowers
    make food, beds, dreams
    come true

    all girls have superpowers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow--what a creative month you've had, Linda. Your gallery of haiku is moving and impressive. Kudos to you and all other participants for finishing 2016 strong!

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wow, what a beautiful month of haiku, Linda! Thank you for sharing your gallery with us. "My love, the snow" could be my favorite line here. :) Happy 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  45. What a collection! I have loved this month. The process of writing and connecting daily has been lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  46. I can't think of a better word for the year than "listen" - imagine how much better the world could be if we all took the time to slow down and really listen, to ourselves, to each other, and to nature.

    ReplyDelete
  47. A remarkable finish to the month, Linda! The two crows poem is my favorite! Think you'll continue with the daily practice?

    ReplyDelete
  48. Congratulations, Linda, on a beautiful and thoughtful collection! I've so enjoyed writing haiku with you this month. Thanks for the healing. xo

    ReplyDelete
  49. These are so fabulous, Linda! I too love the crows--where the haiku plus the image plus even the font you chosen enhances the atmosphere of legend and aboriginal lore.

    I see you word for 2016 was "Listen." That happens to be the word I've chosen for 2017! Already I've grown attentive to it.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  50. Congratulations on making it across the finish line--wonderful collection! I like the idea of the light we see being a reflected gift.

    ReplyDelete
  51. Quite a collection! New year, new words, new opportunities! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hooray, Linda! Your collection of haiku are beautiful and inspiring. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  53. This is an impressive body of work, Linda. I'm sorry I didn't stop by more regularly to note my favorites, but there are many (to name just one, "winter's abacus") and your imagery is very often clever and beautiful too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  54. Linda, I have followed your #haikuforhealing offerings and see now that they make a stunning gallery of thoughts and images.

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!