Thursday, December 1, 2016

Poetry Friday

Part I. This is especially for the teachers. Poetic Reactions to Historic Events, a blog post by former Library of Congress Teacher in Residence, Rebecca Newland came into my inbox this week. It's a gem. There's so much for poetry lovers and learners at LOC.

Part II. some poetry! December turns my thoughts toward holidays and snow. Be sure to stop over at talented Bridget Magee's Wee Words for Wee Ones for Poetry Friday Fun. She's graciously hosting today. And, that is a gift I am grateful for.

Thoughts of Frost’s Little Horse                               

Despite his writing through the night,
the poet aimed to write words right.
When sun broke o’er hill and forest
Lines of verse flowed strong and bright.

Just perfect, thought our Mr. Frost
Without a word or iamb lost
to abstract notions or vain art
a magic poem, enchanted dross.

However,    
    
He left out thoughts of another                                          
who also had wonder to discover
at the same halt and same woods edge
where snowflakes fell on both together.

Dear reader, allow a small repair
a gaff in poetry so fair
with bell-thoughts by “the little horse”
Her brief pause and winter’s prayer.

These winter woods he thinks he knows
are not so owned by him below
the deer and owl watch us stop
to watch our woods fill up with snow.

My diver man must think it queer
that I don’t mind us stopping here
to break and pray in nature’s church
and ease our hearts this time of year.

I give my harness bells a shake
to let him know there’s no mistake.
The quiet sweep of snow is safe
for us a slumber while awake.


The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
covered in drifts white and sweet,
that gentle our miles before we sleep,
that gentle our miles before we sleep.

(c) Linda Mitchell

6 comments:

  1. I had no idea that the LOC has a teacher in residence, what a wonderful opportunity, and a wonderful resource! I will have to look into that more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Linda for this resource. And for the poem. I love the romantic image of snow... too bad it is rather nightmarish here in the south where we don't know what to do with it when it comes to our cities! Happy Poetry Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great resource! Thanks for the poem - I love the thought of snow, but nt the actuality of it, if you know what I mean!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A treasure trove in your post today, Linda! Snow, an alien concept here in the desert, but would be welcomed (for a day or two ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can do without snow if it is deep enough to have to shovel! However, here in Frost's NH, it is truly lovely in the woods.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Did you sign up for the Poetry Postcard Exchange? it didn't save for some reason. Please email me at macrush53 at yahoo dot com. I don't want you to miss out if you did.

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!