Thursday, October 5, 2017

Found Haiku

Thank you, dear Violet Nesdoly Poems for hosting the playground of Poetry Friday this week. I have such fun running around with my friends and all their words.

I'm having fun with found haiku. It feels as satisfying as what sudoku must feel like for some people (I have no idea...all those numbers that must be in the right spot gives me a nervous tick). Give me words....lots and lots of them!

It's October--time to play with autumn!


Adams, Ansel. “Merced River, Cliffs, Autumn, Yosemite Valley, California.” Art Object Page, National Gallery of Art , www.nga.gov/Collection/art-object-page.66709.html.


A Letter in October
By Ted Kooser


Dawn comes later and later now, 
and I, who only a month ago 
could sit with coffee every morning 
watching the light walk down the hill 
to the edge of the pond and place 
a doe there, shyly drinking, 

then see the light step out upon 

Hartley, Marsden. “Maine Woods.” Art Object Page, National Gallery of Art , www.nga.gov/Collection/art-object-page.72332.html.


Haiku Found in Kooser's Letter to October

1. 
watching the light walk
at the waiting window found 
no more than my face

2.
sowing reflections 
at the waiting window found 
a garden of trees

3. 
later and later
at the waiting window found 
beyond me, darkness

Finder, Linda Mitchell

19 comments:

  1. Interesting exercise, Linda - and well done! I'll have to play around with this form myself.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! I like how your found haiku found so many images to distill. You're inspiring me to try this for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, keep playing, Linda. These are such fun. If I didn't already have a post half-written (*gasp*) for next week, I'd play too. Hmmm... Maybe I will... and post it the following week. :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your discoveries in other's poems, Linda. To observe that way and choose what speaks to you seems magical. I love each "look" you've created, but the first one best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicely done, Linda! I especially like the third one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This Kooser poem is going in my notebook. It's a subtle look at time and aging. I especially liked your second haiku, Linda. The image of the trees is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found a poem notebook and I need to start putting poems in it again. I love the idea of culling haiku from other poems.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this Linda! You have made a new poem out of Kooser's with a magic all its own. I like what Laura, above, says about it being "a subtle look at time and aging." With that in mind, the third haiku gives me a sly wink that sends a shiver down my spine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have saved both the Ted Kooser poem and your haiku to plan a writing activity for next week. I love how we inspire each other. Your haiku exercise teaches us to look deeper to find new direction and meaning. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great way to mine the magic in Kooser's poem!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, this does seem like fun! I'm so enjoying your haiku! The Kooser poem is fabulous and I also loved the "subtle look at time and aging" that Laura mentioned. (Having turned 50 this year, I find that those "subtle" looks feel like bludgeons sometimes!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You looked, reflected, and wrote, Linda, and I appreciated your efforts. the image in your haiku is so interesting that I can see why you paired it with your haiku sequence. If you would like to offer this image poem for my next gallery, Autumn Ablaze, please sign your name and send it to me.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in love with both Kooser's poem and your response haikus.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oooo, Linda. On your game with this one! I love haiku and ditto for found poetry. What a win/win! Can't wait to try. I have this quirky routine I follow each morning twelve months of the year -- no matter what time I get up, dark or not dark, I walk to the window and look at the trees across the street. So much to see at my "waiting window." -- Christie @ https://wonderingandwondering.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like the rich poem by Ted Kooser and your accompanying Ansel Adams image–there are many poems in that image! I especially like your middle haiku and "the light walk" in the first one, thanks Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gorgeous poem by Ted Kooser! Oh my. Gives me shivers. No wonder you wanted to plumb it for haiku. Excellent!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That's a bit different from Ted, and you mined it nicely with the repeated middle line.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Interesting spin on the Haiku - having that same grounding line! That looks (and sounds) like fun! That Ansel Adam's image is pretty amazing, too!

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!