Thursday, June 10, 2021

How I Learned About the Snail with the Right Heart

Hello Friday, Hello Friends,

It's the last Friday of the school year for me and I am so ready for a summer break. Thank you, Carol, for hosting our round-up this week at Carol's Corner.

Sometimes, I look to my Twitter feed for inspiration.

This article from Maria Papova's blog is a pinned tweet on her feed.

https://twitter.com/brainpicker/status/1345436684763222017?s=20

Because the story is hers and she is donating all proceeds from The Snail with the Right Heart: A True Story (Enchanted Lion Press 2021) a good deal of the story makes up the post at Brain Pickings.org

I hope you will read it. I have the book on an order-wishlist for my middle school library.

The article's text about how the book came to be is a rich language for finding haiku such as these:

an invitation 
for basic soul maintenance
the language of children

 

sure soft-footed gait
at the heart of the story
elemental truths


an invitation
poetry of existence
as nature's fulcrum


Hamish has wandered off toward the Drava River in Croatia this week. He's learning some of the language. Polje means field in Croatian. Hamish likes a nice, grassy new field. Some new friends have joined him on his padlet. 

19 comments:

  1. "nature's fulcrum" -- ♥️♥️♥️
    Brain Pickings is great! Thanks for letting us know about this new book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Brain Pickings, but somehow missed this one. The book sounds lovely!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hit ENTER too soon! You definitely found some good stuff in it!

      Delete
  3. "soul maintenance," balance in human nature, (and perhaps we ought to take a cue from the children…) and "nature's fulcrum" Mother Nature—lots of good fodder there. I was enchanted by Papova's book when I first saw it on her blog, thanks for sharing it here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such beautiful found poetry! I know I need to read the book that inspired these. thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did read this, Linda, a marvelous post at Brain Pickings, as are they all. I love your 'findings' from it, that "sure soft-footed gait" says a lot, doesn't it? Happy Last Friday to you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, thank you for sharing the beautiful story at Brain Pickings. It leaves us wanting to order to read the ending of the love story! I found a haiku too:

    story came abloom
    diversity lovelier,
    stronger, than sameness

    ReplyDelete
  7. Basic soul maintenance -- sounds like a great idea! (Is the padlet link working? It didn't work for me, so I'm going to go figure out how to get there from your main blog site.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the link to the padlet: https://padlet.com/mitchellhubeimom/Ox

      Delete
  8. I hadn't heard about Maria's new book. Thanks for the heads up, and for you lovely haiku. Hugs to Hamish!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I haven't had the time lately to read Brain Pickings, but I do love their stories. Thanks for the link and for your found haiku.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Linda for the info on Maria Popova's book. I liked "sure soft-footed gait/ at the heart of the story." Also, I enjoyed perusing the paddle and thinking about solar farming and oxen.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks Linda for the info on Maria Popova's book. I liked "sure soft-footed gait/ at the heart of the story." Also, I enjoyed perusing the paddle and thinking about solar farming and oxen.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda, thanks for sharing the Brain's picking link with the beautiful story. Your found haikus are wonderful. I especially like these word combinations: poetry of existence, baisc soul maintenance, and sure soft-footed gait.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this article! Your Found haikus are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brian Pickings is always inspiring! Maria Papova is such a poetic writing, I'm not surprised you were able to find these little love letters to books and reading. "Basic soul maintenance" is my favorite line. Thank you for sharing these, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Brain Pickings is the best, but I haven't managed to find time to click and read lately. Thanks for letting me know about this picture book. I'll definitely check it out. I love your found haiku-- something about "sure soft-footed gait" really sparks for me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that you were finding haiku in Maria Papova's article at the same time I was finding them in your Hamish poems! (Watch your mailbox if this doesn't make sense yet...)

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!