Thursday, August 4, 2022

Going Rogue on a Sports Poem




Home again, home again jiggety-jig!

What a summer!

Seven weeks, three big trips, and tomorrow I meet with librarians from my area for a day of learning we call Ignite! I'm hosting at my library...watch for photos of our @pwsla fun on Twitter. We will share professional development, catching-up, raffle prizes, and ice cream!

Catherine challenged the Inklings in August to...

***
"Write a poem about any sport you have a connection to--one you participate(d) in or love to watch. Use any form you think works best. You could use Liz Steinglass's Soccerverse or any of the poems here as a mentor if you'd like.

https://poets.org/text/sports-poems-kids"

***


Ummmmmm...I've written a sports poem. In fact, it's published in Rhyme & Rhythm: poems for student-athletes (Archer Books. 2021). But, this month I kinda blanked on a true sport. I'm not super athletic.


In the past, when stumped, Molly has advised me, to go rogue! I'm taking her up on that now.


ps: based on true experiences of my youth

Last week I was in beautiful Colorado and found some stars that are now on Star's padlet: padlet.https://padlet.com/mitchellhubeimom/4bzbfu2cg5k7awk5

Thank you, Molly, for hosting our round-up today!

16 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this week Linda! I'm working to start a library circuit myself and am curious if you have any tips to share on how to engage and maintain relationships with libraries? Thanks! --Tim

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the humor in this poem, Linda. I'm picturing a very imaginative Peloton rider!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you built us up and then landed with Chapter One, hint enough for me to say, "Of course!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you in a spin class? Also--so much energy and motion. I'm now exhausted and deserve a rest, right? :>D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would have to guess something done at home, bed to flop into near by. I agree that it might be something like Peloton. Of course, you won! Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think my favourite part of this must be flopping on the bed and opening up a book - reading is my sport of choice, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, now that you put it THAT way, I guess reading really IS a sport!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love how your ending is a surprise and gives context to the whole poem. I also love when you go rogue :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I excel in the sport of reading. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You may step to the middle of the podium, you Olympic-level reader! Is Heartbreak Hill a real place? Inquiring minds want to know....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda, where did the weekend go? The little girls have been here since Friday night. I read your post but but must have been called on Grandgirl watch so I never got to post my comment. I loved reading as a child, especially during long summer days. Your poem is such a celebratory one on the sport of reading.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray! Going rouge for the win! Nice job, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You deserve a GOLD medal for your relatable rouge riddle poem, Linda. Well done! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've participated in this sport! Peddling to the library, grabbing the book, racing home, and BAM! Dive into the reading. :D Love it, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your poem its movement and ending– it's a perfect surprise, thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!