Thursday, August 17, 2023

For my nieces

Hello Friday Poetry Friends

I love to find an art museum anywhere I travel. Hubby and I recently visited the de Young fine arts museum of San Francisco where I happily searched for art with embedded words. 

A gallery that took my breath away was Kehinde Wiley's An Archeology of Silence. You may know Wiley from his famous portrait of President Barack Obama.

These photos do not do justice to Wiley's grand-scale works of art

My nieces come by way of Ethiopia. Being Black in Ethiopia is literally nothing to write home about. But, being an adopted daughter of an American white mother, my sister-in-law, is. My nieces take the brunt of navigating African Americaness for our family. It's a lot for anyone to manage. I admire their strength and grace as they do and we all learn from mistakes and missteps as much as anything. Thankfully, there's a lot of love.

When I entered Wiley's exhibit I wished my nieces with me. The astounding beauty and reverence he brings to his art is something I didn't even realize I needed. But, I do. 

From Wiley's website: "Los Angeles native and New York based visual artist, Kehinde Wiley has firmly situated himself within art history’s portrait painting tradition. As a contemporary descendent of a long line of portraitists, including Reynolds, Gainsborough, Titian, Ingres, among others, Wiley, engages the signs and visual rhetoric of the heroic, powerful, majestic and the sublime in his representation of urban, Black and Brown men found throughout the world."

Wiley primarily invites me to see through his eyes to experience joy, grief, and curiosity. I was awed into actual silence as I searched for words in his larger-than-life paintings and sculpture. All of the larger-than-life pieces were spot-lit in a very dark gallery that felt holy.

My nieces are now young adults. I hope we can someday visit Kehinde Wiley's work together. I would love to know their impressions. His art is a beautiful meeting place for us.

I found a poem in a gallery placard at the Silence of Archeology exhibit.


Transcendence
piercing practice figures
claiming Black
value reveals sanctity 
     of 
          humanity.

Freestanding darkness
inspires reverence
and, admiration.

8/18/23


Today's padlet poem is based on the collage of Michelle Miller's 'Head Games.https://padlet.com/mitchellhubeimom/word-bwfgg0bqmjhf62fd/wish/2663345626 


Thank you, Molly, at Nix the Comfort Zone, for hosting our round-up this weekend. 


19 comments:

  1. Stunning, Linda - Thank you so much for sharing your experience with us. I can't imagine the impact of seeing these works in person! I had no idea Kehinde Wiley was a sculptor as well as a painter. "Freestanding darkness/inspires reverence" - beautiful line. Thanks for sharing a bit of your beautiful family story, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I did not know Wiley was a sculptor either. I love his gorgeous color choices in his paintings. At our local museum is one of his paintings is my favorite piece there. Thank you for showing some of his beautiful artwork and sharing your sense of connection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know that I'll ever get there, but I will visit the website to see if I can access more of Wiley's work, Linda. The pieces you shared feel very powerful. What you "found", that "sanctity of humanity" feels so right. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this, Linda. I will try to visit the de Young museum when I return to SF. Finding poems in placards is an interesting, condensed, art form with endless material! Hope you get to share Wiley's art with your nieces.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You found so much on your travels and I suspect that's because you approach all new things with an open and curious heart and mind. Thank you for that, and also for sharing this magnificent art and the poem you found. I love those final ending lines.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that freestanding darkness! Thank you for sharing all this, Linda, and what a beautiful nod to the extra burden your nieces bear with such love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I appreciate being able to see some of this exhibit through your eyes, and the way that your eyes yearned for your nieces to see it too. Making a gallery "essay" into a found poem is a cool idea!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an amazing found poem, Linda! --Anastasia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Powerful artworks, poem, and post–I can feel how the lighting sets a mood for all, thanks for transporting us there Linda! I loved seeing Wiley's portrait of Obama when it was here in Chicago at the Art Institute, I stood in front of it for quite a while taking it in.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wiley's portraits and sculptures are stunning, as is your found poem. Like Heidi, I love the idea of using the introductory essay as the source of a found poem. Thank you for sharing your experience of this exhibit with us, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda, your blending of art with poetry is appreciated in this post and on your padlet. I enjoyed reading your post and the links provided. What a great choice of words:
    value reveals
    sanctity
    of
    humanity
    There is such sensitivity in these lines, especially in light of your nieces' background. Your travels in California inspired you to write.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda, what a beautiful found poem you discovered in that "Silence of Archeology" placard.

    These lines remind me of the truth that when we "claim Black value" everyone will benefit and become more fully human. I hope you will get to visit Wiley's work with your nieces some day.

    claiming Black
    value reveals sanctity
    of
    humanity.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The elemental value of silence is inestimable, Linda. Your post highlights this. I loved the interplay between poetry and art that revealed itslef in your visit. The poem 'found' within the larger gathering of words, shines brightly. Great research and discovery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing all of this, Linda. I was taken with your observation that the gallery felt holy. Your found poem reflects that reverence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a beautiful post, Linda. Wiley's artwork is stunning and I was moved by your thoughts, reactions, and your poem. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an inspirational exhibit! I love how you found a poem in the gallery placard.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Linda, Wiley's work that you shared is stunning! I will plan to make my way south (SF is 3 hrs away) to experience this exhibit. Beautiful found poem, too. I love "claiming Black value". I hope you and your nieces have a chance to share more of this.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! What a powerful exhibit! So glad you go to see it.

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!