Thursday, April 11, 2024

Progressive Poem Rest Stop -- Exit 12


Hello Poets,


Aren't you just loving Poetry Month? I'm enjoying everyone's poetry projects. Rose C. at Imagine the Possibilities inspired me with her call-and-response idea. My weekly WORLD poem plays along.

Today is my turn to share a couplet in our community's progressive poem. This poem started out with two lines by Patricia Franz at Reverie and continues each day of April with couplets from other poets until here. 

I imagine this poem as a journey with visits to various blogs and websites. It's been a lovely journey so far. I'll try to make your visit pleasant before you continue on the interwebs to Denise at Dare to Care for day 13.

cradled in stars, our planet sleeps
clinging to tender dreams of peace
sister moon watches from afar
singing lunar lullabies of hope.

almost dawn, I walk with others,
keeping close, my little brother.
hand in hand, we carry courage
escaping closer to the border.

My feet are lightning;
My heart is thunder.
Our pace draws us closer
to a new land of wonder.

I bristle against rough brush —
poppies ahead brighten the browns.
Morning light won’t stay away —
Hearts jump at every sound.

I hum my own little song
like ripples in a stream
Humming Mami’s lullaby
reminds me I have her letter

My fingers linger on well-worn creases,
shielding an address, a name, a promise–
Sister Moon will find always us 
surrounding us with beams of kindness



Take it away, Denise!

Read the list below to learn where our poem has been and where it’s headed. 

April 1 Patricia Franz at Reverie
April 2 Jone MacCulloch
April 3 Janice Scully at Salt City Verse
April 4 Leigh Anne Eck at A Day in the Life
April 5 Irene at Live Your Poem
April 6 Margaret at Reflections on the Teche
April 7 Marcie Atkins
April 8 Ruth at There is No Such Thing as a God Forsaken Town
April 9 Karen Eastlund
April 10 Linda Baie at Teacher Dance
April 11 Buffy Silverman
April 12 Linda Mitchell
April 13 Denise Krebs at Dare to Care
April 14 Carol Varsalona at Beyond Literacy Link
April 15 Rose Cappelli at Imagine the Possibilities
April 16 Sarah Grace Tuttle
April 17 Heidi Mordhorst at my juicy little universe
April 18 Tabatha at Opposite of Indifference
April 19 Catherine Flynn at Reading to the Core
April 20 Tricia Stohr-Hunt at The Miss Rumphius Effect
April 21 Janet, hosted here at Reflections on the Teche
April 22 Mary Lee Hahn at A(nother) Year of Reading
April 23 Tanita Davis at (fiction, instead of lies)
April 24 Molly Hogan at Nix the Comfort Zone
April 25 Joanne Emery at Word Dancer
April 26 Karin Fisher-Golton at Still in Awe
April 27
April 28 Dave at Leap of Dave
April 29 Robyn Hood Black at Life on the Deckle Edge
April 30 Michelle Kogan at More Art for All


21 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing the progressive poem, Linda. I haven't been following it - April has had a busy start for me - so enjoyed reading it from beginning to now. So clever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The letter seems to help the positive feelings no matter the stress, Linda. I like the 'beams of kindness'. Every little bit helps, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Linda! As my turn for the poem draws near, I'm reading extra carefully. I like how you have brought the moon back in as a comfort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes to bringing back Sister Moon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful, Linda - promises of kindness!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on the 27th. This is a "before" list! Lol! I love where this is going and the rhymes and near rhymes. Great cohesiveness besides beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the return to the beautiful image of Sister Moon, watching over.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Linda, for the beams of kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I love to watch a progressive poem develop and grow and become its own entity. I'll keep following! Thanks, Linda. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, I started with your World Padlet and found so many interesting poems that I had not reas yet. I would love to showcase your 3/24 poem with the rabbit art at my Poetry Parade Padlet for a later entry in my new gallery. Are you interested? Your couplet for the PP is soothing, an important ingredient in this journey poem. I am trying hard to imagine what I will write after Denise.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda, thank you for this beauty. I love our poem. I am nervous to add to it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, I love these progressive poems! it's so much fun to see where everyone takes it - I'm planning to try this with my writing students, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loving the progressive poem so far and your sweet contribution Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I hope kindness come from more sources than the Moon...<3

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice! Ruth, thereisnosuchthingasagodforsakentown.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love how this poem is evolving and especially how your line weaves back to an earlier stanza. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  17. The poem is taking shape, telling of something of which we are all aware and carefully watching. Thank you for sharing it in its entirety (so far). Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's neat how each year is different ... having couplets and an overarching theme is a new spin. Some things are always the same, though -- I'm nervous about my turn!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm loving seeing how this poem is progressing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for bringing Sister Moon back into the poem. I love that she is surrounding the poem with kindness.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ahh, Sister Moon with her light and kindness... I am glad our young speaker has had a moment to breathe.

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!