Thursday, September 26, 2024

Thirteen Ways Middle Age

 The Poetry Pals are writing thirteen ways. I'm joining in.





Thirteen Ways Middle Age

moonbeam webs stray at my temples sleep escapes my nights

what doesn’t seem long ago, was…not on my phone yellowed paper files

what’s old music is new again – hey Mom listen to this, Pink Floyd!

I cannot hear of war without heartsickness children shouldn't die

my grandmothers smile at me from mirrors playing peak-a-boo 

some plans have been made burial plot purchased with my ancestors

half full not empty  by half

without rhyme, poetry has now become my first language

with pen, I hand-write letters on paper just to be old-fashioned

cursive writing is my secret code–especially F, G, Q, and S 

god has not changed, yet i see what’s sacred in more and more every day

children now look

after me making sure

mother is safe

it takes longer to scroll to the year of my birth the summer of love


Linda Mitchell -- draft


Don't miss any of the Poetry Friday round-up hosted this week by Incredible Irene Latham at Live Your Poem who is introducing her brand new anthology, The Mistakes That Made Us. Confessions from Twenty Poets, selected by Irene Latham and Charles Waters, illus. by Merce Lopez (Carolrhoda/Lerner Publishing. 10/1/24).














3 comments:

  1. Yes! Poetry is certainly your first language, Linda...and "god has not changed, yet" is quite a fabulous line! Adding it to my notebook. xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Mitchell, I love this!! Moonbeam webs, the secret code of F, G, Q, and S, and taking a long time to scroll to my birth year all resonated with me. Perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, I like the way you designed your poem. This line stands out: "poetry has now become/my first language". At first the image led me to believe the poem would speak about a time long ago but that did not make sense. Then, as I read your poem the past popped in as does the present. The last stanza made me laugh/smile because it is a truth on aging.

    Rain is dropping in to Northern VA as Autumn walks lightly.

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!