Thursday, October 3, 2024

A Pythagorean Poem for October

 Happy Poetry Friday!

A gourd time was had by all. Linda Mitchell


The Inklings were challenged by Margaret @ Reflections on the Teche to write pythagorean poems. 

____ 

A Pythagorean Poem
created by Shari Green

The math background:
Pythagoras' theorem is a2 x b2 = c2
One possible triple is 3,4,5.

3x3 + 4x4 = 5x5

 9     +  16.  = 25

Using the triple, the poetic form works like this:
1st stanza: 3 lines of 3 words each
2nd stanza: 4 lines of 4 words each
3rd stanza: 5 lines of 5 words each*

*The third stanza must be composed of all the words found in stanzas one and two (in any order; variations okay).

The third stanza should also be a progression of sorts, a product of the first two in thought or theme or meaning.

____

Trust me kids, this is tough than it looks--just like high school Geometry!

Kudos to Shari Green for inventing this form. It is a fun challenge. I actually employed a spreadsheet to make sure I had used all the words from the first two stanzas in the third without repeats. LOL. 


October

Find a pumpkin

Is it orange?

Is it round?


Brush off the dirt

Now thump its base

How does it sound?

Like a hollow drum?


A-thumping, it is found! It is an orange pumpkin hollow-like. Brushed off bass The dirt round its drum, how does it sound, now?

 

Linda Mitchell--draft



Thank you, Tabatha @ The Opposite of Indifference,
for hosting our round-up as we welcome October.

WORLD and I have gotten back on track with poems. The little series below stem from a clunker offered by Amy LV. Flowers love the feel of rain.

Enjoy!

haiku

this hopeful world where
flowers love the feel of rain
while reaching for sun


cinquain


Summer Flowers Love


The feel 

of rain. Applaud

a hearty watering 

each stem reminded once again

of spring


4x4

Flowers Love

the feel of rain spilling, sipping
dripping, dropping

refreshed again



More Inkling takes on the Pythagorean Poem:

Mary Lee Hahn @ A(nother) Year of Reading

Catherine Flynn @ Reading to the Core

Molly Hogan @ Nix the Comfort Zone

Margaret Simon @ Reflections on the Teche
Heidi Mordhorst @ my juicy little universe






9 comments:

  1. Love your Pythagorean Poem and what a fun challenging format! Pumpkin drums, love the imagery and the thumps! Happy Poetry Friday Linda! I may try some in the future:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Pythagorean Poem form certainly does look challenging. As I explore new poetry forms, I enjoy "solving them" like a cross word puzzle. Double dactyl's are my favorite for now. Will have to work up to this form! You didi an awsome job with your pumpkin drums, Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pythagoras would say hoorah, Linda! I need to try one, but it does look challenging! I love that you used fall pumpkins as your topic! They are everywhere here in stories, in church lots for annual pumpkin festivals, and on! And I love what you did with Amy's line in your own poems, "Applaud/a hearty watering" - for sure! Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job with such a challenging form. You make it look easy! Love getting my pumpkin fix here this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love all your poems, especially the different ways you incorporated Amy's clunker (which doesn't really sound like a clunker to me!). You have created beautiful images of flowers and water in all of them. The Pythagorean Poems are so intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, nice job on your Pythagorean poem. I'm intrigued and enjoying reading them. I'll be trying one soon thanks to your success and testimony! I love the pumpkin drum you write about and your use of bass and base. I like how the "flowers love the feel of rain" and it's certainly true, especially in my dry as a bone area.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So many lovely sounds in all of these poems. All of these math related forms make my brain --AACK! I really have to think about them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the new form to play with. It's funny how much I dislike math and how much math plays into the poem forms I use.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That form looks tough, Linda. Thanks for the delightful quartet of poems! I love clunker poems!

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!