I was twelve when I understood the word, lament. My junior high music teacher spun out a fantastic unit based on The Peer Gynt Suite by Evard Grieg and I fell in more in love with musical storytelling than I already was. Thank you, Mr. Estep!
| Billy Rose Theatre Division, The New York Public Library. "Estelle Parsons and Stacy Keach in the 1969 Public Theater production of Peer Gynt" The New York Public Library Digital Collections. 1969. |
Suite 2, Op. 55 is Ingrid's Lament. The image of a bride abducted from her wedding, fighting her abductor her grief carried by the strings taught what lament, to mourn aloud (Merriam-Webster) could sound like. So did did the silence and quiet songs of my favorite lenten tradition, Stations of the Cross.
I've been thinking of lament for April's Spiritual Journey post. I find that times of personal lament are usually times of spiritual connection. That grief that shows up as frustration, tears, even mild depression are times I call out to God in need and with thanks for being my ever present source of help, support, understanding.
Recently, a writer friend described her car (maybe it's her truck)as her prayer closet. I love that! Most often, lament time of mine is expressed in my car on the way to work. I must look crazy talking up a storm to God from behind the wheel.
I like to end my commuter prayer time with statements I learned from a Bible Study of Beth Moore's (I don't remember which one)years ago.
Thank you, God, for being who you say you are.
Thank you, God for doing what you say you will do.
Thank you, that I am who you God say that I am
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Let your word be alive and active in me.
These statements are ones I can state simply or expand on. I often bring situations and events to mind in which my lament has been met with God's love and presence.
I hope those in my faith tradition are finding these lenten days productive and full of the promise of Easter. I hope that those who are of other faith traditions are finding ways to keep on keeping on this spiritual journey. I'm grateful for all those I walk with. I belive that all our lament is met with love and God's presence.
Peace,
Linda

Linda, thank you for sharing the Bible Study statements. I really love "Thank you, that I am who you God say that I am." Such affirming words and a reminder that we are loved exactly as we are.
ReplyDeleteI've never heard this music before. Thanks for sharing it. I love your commuting prayer that is more praise than lament. Was it Anne Lammott who wrote "Help. Thanks. Wow."? We need all three prayers.
ReplyDeleteCommuter prayer time is a gift. I love your statements for ending commuter prayer time. Three lines of gratitude, an affirmation of faith, and a commitment for the day: "Let your word be alive and active in me." I'm so grateful for my Thursday sojourners who teach me much. And those yellow daffodils against a blue sky - gorgeous!
ReplyDeleteWhat a gorgeous post, Linda. Hurrah for musical storytelling! The visual impressions are unforgettable. The music stays with us. The gratitude expressed throughout your post is THE antidote to "that grief that shows up as frustration, tears, even mild depression" in the times we cry out to God in anguished lament. I know this well. It happens that one morning while driving to work in despair (due to several factors), I prayed aloud: "God, I could use some encouragement right now." Just around the bend stood an old tree and in its branches...an eagle. The Lord's power and presence are real. He does not forget his own. Thank you for this beautiful reminder.
ReplyDeleteLinda, so much truth in this statement you make. I'm copying and pasting it here because I need to remember it: "That grief that shows up as frustration, tears, even mild depression are times I call out to God in need and with thanks for being my ever present source of help, support, understanding." Thank you for the reminder. Your post is beautiful, and I love that you started with a shout out to your junior high music teacher.
ReplyDelete