Thursday, August 22, 2019

#DearOneLBH

Dear Ones,
Today, Poetry Friday bloggers celebrate Lee Bennett Hopkins,  children's poet, poetry-champion and hero, who passed away earlier this month. To say his presence will be missed is a vast understatement.

Amy Ludwig Vanderwater is hosting a  #DearOneLBH  round-up at The Poem Farm.

I went to two of my favorite places to spend time with Lee. First, Renee LaTulippe's No Water River interview. Then, Michelle Heidenrich Barns' Today's Little Ditty Spotlight on Lee Bennett Hopkins.

Renee requested that Lee use the word poem in a couplet...but he wrote a haiku. 
https://www.nowaterriver.com/spotlight-on-ncte-poets-lee-bennett-hopkins/

I took the line, write true poetry.


(c) Linda Mitchell August 2019

At the end of Michelle's interview, Lee challenged readers to write a 'Me' poem. 
https://michellehbarnes.blogspot.com/2015/09/spotlight-on-lee-bennett-hopkins-dmc.html
As in the way of poetry, I ended up writing a 'Me' poem....but from the perspective of a red-winged blackbird in this photo that came across my twitter feed a few days ago. Isn't he handsome? He's definitely all about the me!






Red Winged Blackbird’s Me Poem

Conk-la-ree!
Look at me
wetlands are
my territory
Oak-la-ree!
Look at me
a cattail throne
is what I need
Conk-la-ree!
Look at me
red wing, black coat
and feathery
Oak-la-ree!
Look at me
I sing loud and often
so you’ll notice me
Conk-la-ree!
Look at me
insects bother you?
my tasty treat
Oak-la-ree!
Look at me
so long as you peek
we ‘re friends
you see
Conk-la-ree!
Oak-la-ree!


© Linda Mitchell




Godspeed dear Lee. You are missed...we find you in your words. Thank you for all of them.




19 comments:

  1. Your use of repetition in these poems is so effective. I love the red-winged blackbird poem. It's so true about their loud personality.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem, "Dear One", is so beautifully crafted. The repeated lines create a lovely flow through the piece. (PS--That blackbird photo is one of my favorites! )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Appreciations for adding your great talents to these #DearOneLBH tributes!
    XoX
    Jan

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am pondering Lee's lines, "Yet so few/write true poetry" and what your response was. Stanza 2 stands out to me. When we write with passion in response to life, those words get embedded in our heart. True poetry is the ebb and flow of emotions spilled out onto the page. I also like how you crafted your poem to Lee, Linda. Your red-winged blackbird poem is full of outdoor chatter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw that bird photo a few days ago in my feed too, and was blown away by it. It reminded me of the Browning poem where he talks about the thrush:
    "That's the wise thrush; he sings each song twice over,
    Lest you should think he never could recapture
    The first fine careless rapture!"

    Doesn't that blackbird look like he is enjoying some fine careless rapture? I love what you've done with him!

    Your tribute to Lee is also beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My school was next to a wetlands and the herald call of "conk-la-ree" became our welcome to spring, Linda. Your poem brings me to those lovely days, and your creating from Lee's call for true poetry is wonderful, a loving tumbling of words for Lee. Thanks for a beautiful post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, Linda. "Sweet and bitter lives" - and that ending. Yes. He did show us. I love red-winged blackbirds and adore how you so absolutely bring this widemouthed one to life on the page! Happy Poetry Friday. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yes, Lee was all about "Poetry with a capital P" aka "true poetry." And also "oooooh"s too good not to share! <-- I love that line in your poem. :) Can I also say how soothing it was to me, personally, to read your ME poem? It felt like a warm hug. Thank you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. "Magic in verse" and "true poetry"--you've summed it up! (And I fell in love with that red-wing blackbird photo when I first saw it too. So glad it inspired a look-at-me poem!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the links to those interviews with Lee. Dear One is especially poignant. I love the repetition of the lines.
    I admire how much factual information you shared in your Red Winged Blackbird’s Me Poem. He has a lot to Conk-la-ree! about.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your line "sweet and bitter lives." That really is where true poetry comes from. Thank you for this beautiful tribute to Lee. Your "Me" poem is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, Linda - where to even start? A thoughtful, inspiring post of tribute and creativity. Love your ME red-winged blackbird poem! You've captured a lot of spirit in that little creature and his orations...:0) Thanks for sharing all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I saw that photo when National Geographic (or was it Audubon?) announced the photography awards. Stunning. And then you went and wrote the perfect poem to go with it! Lee will live on. In his words, and in ours.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like the chant that your repeating line creates in your poem "Dear One," and what a fun and true to character poem you created in your Me poem. Thanks for this lovely tribute post Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lee did indeed show us "magic in verse." I adore your red-winged blackbird poem! Lovely post, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your tribute poem to Lee is simply beautiful. And then you blew me away with that blackbird poem! Wow!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lee definitely became a part of our collective joy - very nice tribute, Linda. And I love the repetition in your 'Me' poem!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oooh, I love "write true poetry," and the way you echoed each stanza's end line as the beginning of the next (have you invented a FORM, Linda?). Your ending is just right--Oooh again, too good not to share!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love that cattail throne, Linda. Lee was an inspiration and will continue to be one.

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!