Thursday, July 16, 2020

Refurbished Clunkers

Friends,

It's been a week. Anxiety about the coming school year has taken its toll on me. Thank goodness for poetry and the clunkers poets gave me last week to work with. They were a welcomed distraction.

And, thank goodness for the kindness of friends like Jan who hosts our Round-up today at BookseedStudio .  Her theme for this week is float. Isn't it lovely? 

Last week, I received seven humdinger clunkers to work with. These are the first four.


*a philosophical manual on the human form – Laura Shovan
*Get your yahoos out.-Michelle 
*I wish I could explain. – Margaret
*big cheeks (on your face) a plus --Bridget 


I tackled two with mood-brightening limericks.  Thank you, Michelle and Bridget!




Fred was a yahoo extractor
he could remove anyone’s rude factor
I’ll pull all your loud yahoos out
Fred would wildly shout
until all that’s left is civilized whispers







Young Miss Wilhelmina Weeks
was born with some very big cheeks
a pretty plus on her face
they provide plenty of space
for her double rows of shark teeth







Margaret's line took me in a tanka direction...


I plant promises--
wishes dandelion blown
I close my eyes and
could follow each one
explain faith is evidence of things not seen

Finally, for some exceptionally bad poetry that just made me laugh, (best medicine for me this week). Thanks to Laura's clunker.


A Philosophical Manual on the Human Form

Shockingly states only humans are born   
with the distinctly comical funny bone
which some digress… is not strictly human

For instance, a dog:
Canis lupus familiaris
finds human commands hilarious

















Or, a field mouse high in a flower
a mus musculus
laughing ridiculous

















Consider this gray sunning seal
beach-loving carnivora pinnipedia
can snicker all the way to Sardinia


And a school of stingray?
Myliobatidae of the deep
chortle and chuckle until they weep













And finally, the common Struthio camelus
known to most of us as an ostrich
screech, shriek and scream at
high pitch
















If you ever thumb through manuals
and pause at a funny bone page
remember humans too are animals--
their
funny bones can indeed be upstaged



*Photos taken from: Amy Heard Amy Heard Community Member • points posts comments upvotes FollowUnfollow, et al. “The 30 Happiest Animals In The World That Will Make You Smile.” Bored Panda, 1 Jan. 1964, www.boredpanda.com/cute-smiling-animals/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic.

13 comments:

  1. Linda, you've been busy! I especially love your tanka, especially the line "I plant promises". I'm glad to hear your school will start the year virtually. I'm hoping for the same for my grandchildren's school. We're still waiting for the decision to be made. Lots of anxiety here too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Shark Teeth at the end! That was so good. It not only was surprising it revealed the character in one shocking swoop. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, you were busy this week and I like what you accomplished. Are you ready to create another poem from one of my unfinished lines? I am offering you three after taking 2 of your clunker lines to create a video poem. You could add your explain faith unseen line at Spiritual Journey Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I know what a yahoo extractor is. Who knew? These are delightful from the snickering seal onward. What a fun way of sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I plant promises.... beautiful! And your clunkers are so much fun, as are the images. Way to self-medicate! xo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, so much fun! I enjoyed your poems!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not a clunker in the bunch, Linda! I am particularly impressed by "Miss Wilhelmina Weeks" and what she holds in "her very big cheeks"! Thanks for using my clunker line in your shiny gem of a limerick. And thank you for the smile(s). :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! I love that surprise ending on Miss Wilhelmina! And adorable pics!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like you've had a busy week writing and being inspired! I hadn't heard about the clunkers, but what a fun way to spur some poetic creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh Linda, your "A Philosophical Manual on the Human Form," is a stitch and I'm still smiling from it, and laughing. So much fun in this post-love the two limericks, and beauty in your "promises" poem, this line, "explain faith is evidence of things not seen" reminds me of the silent coronavirus. Thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had so much fun reading these and imagining you chuckling as you wrote them. (Those shark teeth--OMG! lol) I read a post by Austin Kleon this week--it said something like what's the point of creating something if you don't have fun with the process? Thanks for sharing the smiles! (I'll have to go back and check out your post from last week since it seems like I missed all the fun.)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Linda, you just keep flexing your creative muscles and look at how strong they are! You can lift up four clunkers in one hand!
    We should have a whole guild of "yahoo extractors," I think.
    As someone with big cheeks, I have to appreciate them being a "pretty plus," although I'm unsure about the extra tooth room :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A laugh a day and several poems a day can be just what the doctor ordered. Thanks for these chuckles. You are truly inventive and creative.

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!