Thursday, October 1, 2020

Duplex

 Happy October!

Yesterday, I walked the dog and everything was so perfect; the wind in the grasses, the sleepy crickets, the baseball practice in a nearby field, the temperature on my skin. Oh, I do love Indian Summer. And, I love Tabatha's blog, The Opposite of Indifference where this week's round-up can be found. Join me there!

My SWAGGER friends are challenged to write a duplex this month. 

Margaret at Reflections on the Teche
Molly at Nix the Comfort Zone
Catherine at Reading to the Core
Heidi at My Juicy Little Universe

I found it pretty challenging. The rhythm of the lines and end words knocked me off-kilter. But, that's all part of the fun!

What's a duplex poem you ask? 


A duplex by Jericho Brown



My attempt at writing a duplex...

Untitled Duplex


This poem brought all the wrong tools for the job

I’ve rolled up my sleeves to dig by hand

 

2020 is a year to lend a hand

gloved hands, smiles behind masks

 

Love thy neighbor is spelled w-e-a-r  a  m-a-s-k

After derecho, hurricane, flood, and fires

 

Hurricane before flood, derecho before fires
too many birds with nowhere to rest

 

Neither harvest-moon nor harvest time offer rest

There’s a vote to bring in, cell to phones ring

 

Approved counting is by tree trunk ring

Closed eyes clasped hands circle the wreck 

 

Poets throw lines to clear the wreck

This poem brought all the wrong tools for the job

 

(c) Linda Mitchell-draft

19 comments:

  1. Wow! You did a great job with the duplex (a form that is new to me). I especially love the lines: This poem brought all the wrong tools for the job
    I’ve rolled up my sleeves to dig by hand

    Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this powerful post Linda, shared in both of your poems! I love your line,"Approved counting is by tree-trunk ring," and the tools in your poem, and your play with opposites that Jericho Brown talks about in the linked article on him and his book–What a grand challenge, brava!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wowza! What a total shift from your first draft. I love it. "Poets throw lines to clear the wreck" resonated with me as we poets as a community keep trying to muddle through this time with words. Thanks for taking the plunge. I can tell you did a lot of digging into the dirt with your poetry tools.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that first draft was going to need work...and Sarah Aronson advised me once not to be afraid to rip out the stitches and re-fit words. This was a good challenge. I feel stretched!

      Delete
  4. Poets throw lines to clear the wreck -- love! I think you brought just the right tools: power of observation, love, compassion... beautiful! xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Approved counting is by tree trunk ring

    Closed eyes clasped hands circle the wreck

    Linda, I love these lines and the elbow grease you have put both into writing the poem and into the poem. We all have work to do and I wish that we could do it shouldertoshoulder. We all feel stretched, I think!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've managed every single part of our lives now, Linda. It's both beautiful and poignant to consider them & how our lives have changed. I love "Approved counting is by tree trunk ring: that nature part that feels like our one saving grace. This new form is a challenge and you've written it beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am looking forward to trying this form! You did a beautiful job. I savored your lines.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What fun to learn about a new form. Great job with your duplex :)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for introducing me to this form, Linda. These lines popped out for me, "2020 is a year to lend a hand/ gloved hands, smiles behind masks/ Love thy neighbor is spelled w-e-a-r a m-a-s-k."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Holy guacamole, Linda, your duplex is a stunner. I, too, am struck by the line, "Love thy neighbor is spelled w-e-a-r a m-a-s-k." This form looks challenging, but intriguing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you did a fantastic job at this. the duplex form is new to me. it looks both challenging and fun. I may have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In light of the outcomes of this week, your poem strikes many chords.
    ->Poets throw lines to clear the wreck.<-
    Sharpen your tools for the next round of duplex, Linda. I can see your wheels spinning now.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love throwing the lines to clear the wreck! I'll have to study this form a lot more before I attempt it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. A powerful form! A lot to wrestle with, equaled by the content of both of these poems.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Linda! This is wonderful and resonates so well. Your beginning line sets up the poem perfectly, and I especially like this line: "Closed eyes clasped hands circle the wreck." Then "Poets throw lines to clear the wreck." Wow! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for the introduction to this form, Linda - and to Jericho Brown and his gripping poem. And yours - whew! My husband is out digging up a trench for a French drain, and I feel your effort with this challenging form probably took a similar expenditure of energy. Well done. This line captured me: "too many birds with nowhere to rest" ....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for the poem introduction. I am intrigued by this. And thanks for the intro to Jericho Brown.

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!