Thursday, May 27, 2021

Drawing Strength

Happy Poetry Friday Everyone,

See my book -- Children's Guide to Knowledge? It was given to me in the 1970s by people dear to me.  When I was six, seven, eight, and older, I poured over this book. It was the anchor book of antique-blue shelves I constantly re-arranged (by color, by topic, by favorite... many whims). 

All that time ago, I lived in a rural, western New York conservative town, in an old-fashioned and conservative family. Although I loved both, I hoped always that I would leave someday. Books and reading provided possibilities.


The best pages of the book, for me, were about people in other parts of the world. I was fascinated by other countries and languages --the farther away, the better.

Skip ahead decades to last month. 

I saw this tweet from Grace Lin about a lecture she was giving:

https://twitter.com/pacylin/status/1383371213402120200?s=20

I attended the lecture virtually and was impressed not just with the content of her talk but also the way in which she delivered it. Ms. Lin related painful instances of racism at several points in her life as she spoke about what books can do. At these points, she gave her audience drawing breaks.

By her conclusion, we had drawn an Ox which is this year's zodiac animal on the Chinese calendar. And, we'd processed a great deal of emotional information. 

You may remember that my one little word for 2021 is ox. 

I wish I could have made things easier for Ms. Lin and newcomers like her when I was a child. I hope that I've grown into a person that does. 

The poem below is my response to listening to Grace Lin. I saw kids like me in her story. I want her and other writers like her to know that she has and continues to make a difference for me and for the young people I select books for as a children's librarian. 

Thank you, Ms. Lin.


After Listening to 'Putting Books to Work' By Grace Lin 


I want to draw strength.

First, I listen to a story of a girl 
who’s family moved 
to a new homeland 
               my homeland. 

                Draw a cup, she said. 

All that she recognized 
by sight, scent, sound 
were within the walls 
of her family’s house. 

               Draw a potato

The girl learned to speak 
names of places, foods, 
and neighbors quickly. 
She was smart 
and accepting. 

To me, she was a stranger. 
A new kid. 

         Draw two half-moons.  

One day, the girl auditioned 
for a part in our school play 
our teacher said no! 

I did not pay any mind. 

         Draw a hook.  

The girl was hurt and sad 
She knew that our teacher 
saw her as different -- not right. 

I did not speak up for the girl. 

         Draw a cross line 

After months, and years 
we both grew up. 
She drew strength from her differences --
        knew home in more than one place. 

I admired her--
I wished I had befriended her. 

         Draw two eyes and a smile 

The girl drew 力, a symbol for Ox 
known for strength in any homeland. 
I could only write two letters -- o.x. 

         Add two nostrils.  

Now grown, she publishes 
stories and illustrations.  
She communicates 
more than one language. 

I listen more now--
and read. 
I draw an ox.

~Linda Mitchell 


Michelle Kogan is hosting our round-up this last Friday of May. How did this month slip by so quickly? Thanks for hosting Michelle, I always look forward to the fine art you share.

10 comments:

  1. Linda: Thank you for this post. You have touched on important lessons... how to stand up, how to welcome. I'm proud of you for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your moving and contemplative poem Linda, your earlier thoughts, and introducing me to Grace Lin. And your ox connection–how special!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely that you got to watch & listen to Grace Lin's lecture & then interact, too, Linda. This is lovely, a story for learning, seems meant for you because of your OLW, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, wow. Thank you so much for this post. I love how you began with the book of your childhood and your appreciation of faraway places. Then the virtual meeting with Grace Lin sounds fascinating and a blessing. What a gift of the Ox talk and the drawing that you made--for you especially, whose word of the year is Ox. It was great after seeing the picture you drew to go back and see each of the parts that you drew--cup, potato, two moon crescents, etc.

    I love, love, love how you put yourself into your poem as the childhood antagonist and person who didn't know how to reach out to the other.

    (Your post reminds me a bit of where I went with my post today too.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, your thoughts and poem touch upon issues that are so pressing in today's age. I grew up in a small community in one of the big five cities in NYS but I was not exposed to diversity until college. There, I was filled with the thoughts of social justice and how to develop it without those words ever mentioned. If only we could help all people understand that differences are not what separates us. They should be what bonds us to become a "human" race. Thanks for letting me stop and ponder this thought.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really enjoyed your poem and introductory words. Wonderful to see a favorite book from your childhood and to learn of your fascination with faraway places and other cultures. Grace's lecture sounds like it was amazing. She works tirelessly promoting cultural literacy and has proven again and again how much words matter.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had the pleasure of hearing Grace Lin speak at an SCBWI conference in Upstate New York about two years ago. I though she was not only brilliant, but an extraordinary person in so many other ways. I regret not knowing more about racial bias growing up, as you express in your poem. There were many times in my life that I could have stood up to unfairness but didn't know how.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Linda, I was that child you spoke of in the 60’s the bookshelves, the books. So glad you were able to listen to Grace Lin. Her process with having you draw in between points is intriguing.
    Your poem reflects so much. I wish that there had been more about racial bias aa a child. I am glad that being a perpetual learner, I put into practice what I am still learning.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another post that expands understanding of others and ourselves Linda. Those old books referred in your introduction retain a hold over us. They are memory markers. You have been clearly moved by Grace Lin's experiences. It is revealed in your poem. Your response has potency and the promise to do even better, as we all must endeavour to do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. First of all, I love the idea that you spent so much time rearranging your books as a child. :). Next, I love that you listened to Grace Lin, participated and then were moved to thank and to create. What a lovely response!

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!