Thursday, October 20, 2022

Afghan Poetry

Oh, do I love it when poetry surprises me in life.

I was watching the news several nights ago and there was a spot about four living poets from Afghanistan. I learned a bit more about how important poetry is in Afghan culture and history. I see more students from Afghan families in school this year. I can't help but want to know more about things that connect us -- especially if it's poetry.

I went looking for poems in English by the poets from the news spot...even with google's help that wasn't a simple thing to do.

However, I did find this 2020 article from Time Magazine: 




This article is from before the US military withdrawal from Afghanistan. I wonder how poets are faring there these days. So many people there are suffering.

One of the poets in the news spot is Shafiqa Khpalwak who now lives in the US and is a published poet and student of Peace Studies at Wellesly University. Some of her poems appear in Adi Magazine. I copied a snippet of Khpalwak's poem, I Shall Write a Poem, and turned it into a postcard. It's displayed on my desk at school. If one of my students spots it, reads it, and is interested I will give it to them and make another. Poetry will connect us.

postcard




Thank you, Bridget Magee, for hosting this week's Poetry round-up.




17 comments:

  1. Connections! What a beautiful way to facilitate connections with your students, Linda. I look forward to a follow up post about a student who saw your postcard and then the two of you share a poetry bond.
    Love the "sky's sigh" - another connection! (the ancient and primeval. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the poem, the postcard (the joyful stitching!), and the way you offer it to students. LOVELY. Thank you, beautiful Linda. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous poem and presentation. Linda, you are such a digger, such a connector...blessings on your work among the middle schoolers!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you share your poem with students. Connection is so important! Thank you for sharing the article and your lovely poem!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your whole post touched my heart, your seeking a poet, finding one, offering her poetry in such a caring and sensitive way, and then ready to pass it on to another and begin again! Thanks for your altruism and sharing this sensitive poem Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is special that you've taken the next step from your search and now share with students, Linda, a beautiful way for connection. I do wonder how women and girls are faring in Afghanistan these stressful days in their country. It reminds me of the book "Reading Lolita in Tehran" so I hope they are finding ways to meet, to read and write.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an inspiring and hopeful post. Thanks for all of it -- the article, your gorgeous postcard, your desire to share and connect! ~ jama

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do think poetry and story telling connect us all. I especially like that you are trying to connect with your students using poetry. The giving of the postcard and your willingness to make another speak volumes about you as an educator! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carol from The Apples in My Orchard on WordPress. (Blogspot likes to use my other email.) Thanks.

      Delete
  9. Linda, the research you do on a topic is outstanding. Your students are lucky to have you as both a librarian and a poet. I can't wait to hear about a student who was interested in your postcard. It's presentation should be a wonder spark for someone that will lead to more. Developing relationships and bonds between facilitator and students is key. I admire your new star poem as well. In my summer poem swap, Janet Fagal gave me a small star for my desk and I immediately thought of you.



    '


    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm in awe of what I am learning about how poetry connects us - around the world. I take for granted what it means to post or share a poem; and the determination of the poet ("I shall write a poem./I shall write a poem.") is profound. They say so much with these simple words. Thank you for sharing them!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this poem that you posted! What a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Always the poet-librarian, finding new and interesting news and turning your students' eyes toward poetry. I just love this about you.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The postcard poem is so spare and utterly intriguing. The dress of yellow leaves- that could be so many things and my mind buzzes with parsing them all out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your post is a reminder of poetry's vast terrain, Linda. Well done on bringing these poets to our attention.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the mystery and repetition in the poem. Who is the speaker? What is clear, is who is the listener -- YOU. You are like the librarian in LOLO'S LIGHT. The world is better because of you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Linda, I love that you're using this beautiful poem as an invitation to connect with your students. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!