Thursday, March 7, 2024

Gathering & Women's History Inspiration

Friends,

This post is a two-fer...and no one is more surprised than me.

Ramona is hosting Spiritual Journey today Laura Purdie Salas is hosting Poetry Friday. This post is for both. 

When Ramona shared her OLW, Gathering, as a prompt. I smiled. I love this word. It's welcoming and warm. I didn't think I had anything to write about...but then...I did.

This weekend, I'll gather with school librarians at a regional conference in my area. We'll swap ideas and talk over issues that we deal with on a day-to-day basis. I gain so much camaraderie and fellowship from these gatherings. 

My most local group that is part of the larger region is hosting a craft boutique at the conference. We will accept donations toward a scholarship in memory of our late friend, Beth. Beth was an outstanding school librarian who inspired us regularly before she passed away several years ago. I miss her spunk and laugh every time we, her librarian friends, gather. 



During the pandemic lockdown I found myself weeding...cleaning out closets, weeding my school library, spending time organizing. Simultaneously I gathered old and pretty paper from discarded books to make crafts.



I've had lots of fits and crafting starts...and hours watching YouTube. But, being in my craft area, gathering supplies to make something for someone else fills my soul with joy. I find the activity of making soothing, healing even. I hope someone picks up a pretty paper and takes it home.



It's Women's History Month! I love finding stories of women who made our world a better place but may not be well known to us.

'Fog Bank' by Emmi Whitehorsehaiku by Linda M.


Emmi Whitehorse is an artist whose work is featured in the National Gallery of Art's Artist Spotlight, 10 Contemporary Women Artists to Know. I thought her work, Fog Bank, fit this haiku.

The World Poem Padlet has gained a new entry. Gosh, I love to see poems pile up!

Thank you, Laura Purdie Salas for hosting the round-up this week. I'll get around to reading and commenting on posts after the conference.




19 comments:

  1. There's nothing quite as soul-restoring as being with fellow educators at a conference. I imagine the loss your group feels when you gather and Beth is absent. You've chosen a lovely way to honor her memory. Gathering supplies to make something for someone else fills your soul with joy. I wish I could be at your conference to shop the beautiful crafts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ekphrastic haiku is lilting & the National Gallery Artist is one to know. Thankyou!
    Use Your Words is a brilliant & creative gathering for your paper Art. I wish someday, for an etsy or other site link, to order your lovely paper productions, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, I love these works of art that you have created. They are gorgeous. I had to zoom in on each picture to try to figure out what materials you used and how you made them. What a lovely way to remember your friend Beth!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, you gathered art and memories and friends all in passion to share with others. Such a beautiful way to gather goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your beautiful artwork as well as your passion for creating. Inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That final artwork and haiku combo is just lovely! Your creativity is always such an inspiration! Enjoy your time with your librarian friends.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes combining the posts are the best. I love that you are gathering with librarians (meanwhile in SW WA, school districts are cutting them to save money and it's horrid). Your haiku is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "all heavens know how to cry"... what a line! I felt that. Thank you for sharing, and happy Poetry Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda, your crafts are precious. "Use Your Words" is a great name. I love the journal I was gifted from you. I think of you every time I use it/see it. I'm with Sarah, I love that haiku, especially that middle line.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda, you are incredible in the way you take scraps and discards and done-withs and create gorgeous new versions of your heart with them! And I love your grasshopper poem--that last line!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Linda, you gathered goodness from the past to brighten the present. Your artsy crafts are marvelous. I wish I could see them in person. Maybe one day-we are always going to Manassas for my son's doctors or shopping. I love your haiku and the nod to Woman's History month. Enjoy your collegial meet-up with fellow librarians. The grasshopper poem is a gem also.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your "Use Your Words" art is off the charts, Linda. I love the fancy due date cards especially. Grasshopper's love of poetry makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are the craft and upcycling queen!! My faves are the fancy due date cards and the book page envelopes. :) Lovely pairing of haiku + art, too. Enjoy the conference this weekend. Thanks for the loveliness this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Linda: This post is lush with beauty. Also, I'm very amused with "Use your Words" as I must have said it thousands of times when I taught preschool. I love beautiful papers also, who can resist them? Thank you for sharing all this good stuff, and I hope your weekend gathering will be the best!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sorry to have missed the Potomac Regional Conference. I was in Richmond for a Library of Virginia event. I'm sure everyone loved your gorgeous paper crafts!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so love that your haiku is women's history inspired! Brilliant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful art creations Linda!!! And lovely melancholic haiku, which matches well with the Emmi Whitehorse art. I enjoyed the 10 Contemporary Women Artists—and your intriguing conversation with Grasshopper, nice play of color also, thanks for all!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Linda, your creations are beautiful! I love, love, love bookish crafts and I want to scoop up everything here. The women's history haiku is so good.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I just came back from the padlet. Oh, I love that grasshopper poem too. Huzzah!

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!