Thursday, March 14, 2024

March Mash-up

Hello Poets,

There's one week before my spring break. Hooray!

I was fresh out of ideas for Poetry Friday. So, this mash-up feels like a bit of a cheat. But, I recommend creating mash-ups (formerly known as cento), though, for times when one's gray matter isn't quite up to the task of creating fabulous original thought.

Here's how to mash up: Find very different poems. I like nursery rhymes and classic poems. Then, mash them up together any way that strikes your fancy. Don't forget to give credit to the original authors. 

Here's an example of a mash-up between Frost's Nothing Gold Can Stay and a version of I See the Moon as sung by Meredith Wilson:

March Mash-up


Nature’s first green is gold,

   I see the moon and the moon sees me,
Her hardest hue to hold.

  Shining through the branches of the old oak tree.

Her early leaf’s a flower;

   Oh, let the light that shines on me,

Then leaf subsides to leaf.

  Shine on the ones I love.
So Eden sank to grief,
  Over the mountains, over the sea,

So dawn goes down to day.
  Back where my heart is longing to be. Nothing gold can stay.

  Oh, let the light that shines on me,
Shine on the ones I love.


There's a new poem on World's padlet. https://padlet.com/mitchellhubeimom/2024-world-ivf6ca0h9vp0flmq/wish/2918722436


Thank you, Tanita Davis, for hosting this week's round-up!

19 comments:

  1. Linda, this is a really fun concept-- thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, great mashup! I read it three times--twice every other line to read the sources, and then together. It is fun to see the times the mashed version flows so well and beautifully and adds to each line before.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for this wonderful mash-up. "Nothing Gold Can Stay" is a favorite of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It works beautifully, Linda; both poems are so reflective about the world. Glad you will soon have a nice break!

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Spring reads her story" is a beautiful ending to your padlet poem, Linda. The cento/mash up reads so beautifully. It is a creative mash up with great word choice. I especially like the lines that start with so ("So Eden sank to grief," and "So dawn goes down to day.").

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have a wonderful break! I'm sure you need it. I am always so impressed how so many of the PF contributors work full time and then post such fabulous poems. I love how your lines fit together and how the light in your shines on those we love, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW. You say cheat, I say stroke of brilliance.
    I can't tell you how often MY brain breaks and I need a little poke of inspiration - mashups might just be it. Thanks so much for sharing this - and hold on, friend. Spring break is coming...!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a great combo - that lullaby is one I have sung to my children and now my grandson. But I love how it walks with Frost's words! Thank you for this "cheat."

    ReplyDelete
  9. Linda: I love your padlet poem, and to be honest, I miss it too. Sigh...The mashup is fun and now I want to try it! Thank you for sharing both. I wish you a restful break.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Like a puzzle put together to create a whole, you have masterly woven these poems together. I don't think it's cheating at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your librarian story. What a wonderful sweet moment of read aloud. They do truly love it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your mash-up, Linda. When you weave the two together, you create something new! Have a fabulous Spring Break!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fun mash-up, especially when you find two things that fit serendipitously together! But what I really love is USE YOUR WORDS (TM), new Etsy shop by incomparable collage/text artist Linda Mitchell. GO FOR IT!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Good grief! Have centos really been renamed as mash-ups? I wrote a cento for Lahaina after the fires last year. I'm not sure how I feel about the renaming. But I am sure I like yours! I identified the first two lines as ones I knew. However, I know the moon line from a book of Children's Prayers in verse that I used to read to my boys. Reading the comments, Heidi mentions you now have an Etsy shop?! Congratualtions! I've had an etsy shop since 2008 - love it! Creative people (you) need a space to share their creative works! And although I don't always have time to make my jewelry, I just cannot seem to get rid of my shop! I return to it when time allows!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Really love this, and I love that sweet rhyming from the nursery rhymes. Hooray for spring break. Today, I make my stack of puzzles and books!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your mash up poem is smashing, Linda! And your "all the voices" library story/haiku...swoon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Marvelous mash-up, Linda! I love the library read-aloud story too. Your own version of cause and effect. :) Is there anything better than read-alouds? So, so, many beautiful memories of them from our homeschool.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely mashup Linda, with flowing grace! I’m on a break this week, with way too much to do… Enjoy Yours!!! 😊 Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!