Thursday, October 3, 2024

SJT: Change

 Hello Sojourners,

'Every little thing is gonna be alright'



I have started this post several times...and scrapped my drafts. I can offer drafty-draft poems on a weekly basis without batting an eye. But, a prose piece about how I really feel? Oooh, that's harder for me.

I work in a school that is full of students that are marked by change. Think about these conditions:

  • all are tweens or teens
  • a majority of them are not native English speakers
  • many are refugees 
  • many, even if they are not refugees, are first generation Americans
  • a majority live below the poverty line which can impact changes in housing and overall feeling of security
Add to the above these facts about our school

  • We have had three different principals (and assorted assistant principals) in the last three years
  • We have a high educator turnover rate (25% is not unusual)
  • Our building is over 50 years old with a "new" wing built onto it making our space a bit wacky. I kid you not, new courtyards built with stage-style half-circle cement seating were surrounded by rocks (to keep the weeds down. Reader, weeds still grew).

To say that my students and I have felt the effects of these changes would be an understatement. Life as an educator and as a student can be tough for a lot of reasons.  At the end of last year, I felt like I was at the end of my ability to be an effective educator. I was ready to quit or retire early.

However, this summer I was (and remain) determined to keep the challenges from defeating my spirit. I addressed my physical, mental and spiritual health directly. I saw trusted professionals, got back to journaling, walking, and noticing 'glimmers' in my day.

I was nervous about how this new school year will go. So far, the time and practices I've put into place are helping me manage the impact of changes beyond my control. 

Today, I have a day off of school for Rosh Hashana (Shana Tova to those celebrating) October feels like a good time to recognize that things are going OK. The change in me to manage the change around me has been good. Thanks be to God.


5 comments:

  1. Glad you have a day off to recharge. Kudos to you for focusing on your needs this summer. I am astounded by the challenges you face in your school community. May you be blessed as you continue the practices you focused on during the summer. So glad that things are going OK. Praise be to God!
    I like looking for the glimmers too! It's a restorative practice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A day off last week helped me tremendously. I'm hoping you are keeping your promise of self-care. I love that you are finding glimmers in each day. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, your thoughts on your present life have worn you down. Many teachers of urban centers feel the bumps of daily teaching. It is a challenge to not only understand the issues but engage in them. Your quandary about what to do as you as an educator was challenging, yet you took a mindful pause to begin a self-care routine. I admire your approach. May your glimmers during each day bring you a sense of peace, my friend. God is with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, you have not let the obstacles of teaching get you down. You have accepted them, faced them, and taken them head on. There are changes we can not control. What we can control is the way we deal with them. You have chosen positive ways of doing that. Bob

    ReplyDelete
  5. LInda, I hope that the goodness of summer sustains you during the year. Teaching is so difficult. Kudos to you for teaching and being mindful of self care. Looking for glimmers is a good strategy.

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!