Thursday, May 29, 2025

Reflect on a Name

Hello and Happy Poetry Friday.

Thank you, Karen Edmisten for hosting our Poetry Friday round-up this weekend.

This morning, I read a blog post by Jason Siegel about names. I enjoyed his humorous approach to writing for kids. And, I had fun playing with the idea of names and naming in my own poems.

This is Ankles. He's two years old and an absolute clown-baby. He requires a certain amount of snuggle time each day in addition to naps and play. We fully intended to give him a new name when we adopted him. But, Ankles really suits him. It has stuck.


Ankles at my writing table


Poetry Cat


My poetry cat named Ankles
leaps up onto my rhyming table

falls asleep purring at weird angles.

My poetry cat named Ankles

loves a flat mat and shoelace tangles

tells me words are birds as fun as cat’s cradle

My poetry cat named Ankles

leaps up onto my rhyming table.


Linda Mitchell 5/30/25


13 comments:

  1. Hee hee--I can't believe you've never mentioned Ankles before! He's lovely and your poem captures a lot of personality. I also love your "solitude in the middle of a crowded airport" poem from last time, "pure pleasure of output."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww! Ankles is adorable! I love that you have a rhyming table. : ) Words are birds as fun as cat's cradle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ankles! I see where the name comes from. What joy, those word birds and cat's cradle. (Our Maggie is 15 and still acts like a kitten!) xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Adorable--what a fun and fitting name. I love "purring at weird angles."

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Ankles -- perfect name and such a sweet cat!! Your poem is charming. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, Ankles is a beautiful looking cat. Having a poetry cat must be so much fun. Thanks for sharing Ankles and your poem about him.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Seems like you have a purrfect poetry partner, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ankles is adorable. I love how you’ve captured his personality in this small poem. The rhymes coming from your rhyming table are just right.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your entire poem and Ankles are purr-fect, too many captivating lines to pick out just one, thanks Linda! 😊

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ankles is adorable! (Both the cat and the the name!) :) Your poem suits him and it made me think of The White Cat and the Monk/Pangur Bán. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant to add that Siegal's blog post and idea were delightful.

      Delete
  11. Such a sweet poem about Ankles. He looks very content.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've fallen in love with Ankles, your poem, and your rhyming table!

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!