In late December I was thinking of what word I wanted to walk with through 2025. I was struggling with a sense of doom and gloom. I had a pile of possible words on sticky notes on my desk that I had collected. The sticky notes were in the shape of a sneaker...which made me think of feet and kicking off my shoes at the end of a day which led me to settle on the word barefoot.
I hoped barefoot would lead me into more whimsy and fun and a more carefree attitude. The truth is, it hasn't gone that way.
Barefoot has been elusive. Words from past years have shown up for me in copious and fun ways. I thought Ox would be difficult in 2021. But, after seeing a photo of an ox named Hamish that tickled me...all other ox that year would be named Hamish in my mind and I found a bunch of them.
Star was as plentiful as stars in the heavens. World and Word both showed up as well. But barefoot? Not so much.
Over this summer, friends have let me know that barefoot, is still with me. Barefoot has shown up in emails, snail mail, poetry and other remembrances. When I've felt like I've failed at keeping up my agreement with my OLW for 2025, friends have stood in the gap between me and barefoot. I'm sharing just a few pics of examples.
Standing in the gap is biblical. It comes from Ezekiel 22:30 when God says, "I looked for anyone to repair the wall and stand in the gap for me..."
Faithful folks taken intercessory direction from the verse. When someone stands in the gap for an other, they are in some way making possible for another who cannot in that moment.
Even though it may seem silly and small, friends have helped me keep a barefoot commitment for 2025. I'm reminded that even small things matter...especially when I struggle with doom and gloom.
I can turn and share this boost as well. I pray, make and share a pot of soup, smile, listen, run an errand, send a gift, write...stand in the gap (even barefoot) for someone by remembering what's important to others. This has an added benefit of lifting my spirits.
These days, family and friends and whole nations are in my prayers. I ask God to count every remembrance of mine as prayer for safety, health, connection to God for others. My remembrances feel small...but even what's small matters.
Years ago, I had a mix-tape that included a song by Babbie Mason. The chorus:
Standing in the gap for you
Just remember someone somewhere
I'll be praying for you
Calling out your name
I'm gonna be praying for your strength
I'll be standing in the gap for you...(find all the lyrics here)
We have a huge world of hurting souls right now. I aim to stand in the gap for others in ways that I can. Maybe I won't write brilliant pieces about barefoot. But right now I am lifting you up with a prayer that you find safety, health and a recognition of God in your life.
Spiritual Journey Thursday readers and writers are invited to leave comments below. If you write a blog post in response to this one or any SJT topic, please include your link so that others can read your thoughts. Thanks so much.


Thanks for this, Linda! I share your desire to avoid the doom and gloom which the news brings, and I love the lightheartedness of BAREFOOT! I'll have to see what I can come up with for this one...
ReplyDeleteHi Linda! Lovely post. I heard someone talking about "barefoot" yesterday. It was a belly dance teacher, who said belly dance is a barefoot dance. Portia said that people focus on the hips but to think about your feet too because Arabic dance is a dance from the feet up. Food for thought! xo
ReplyDeleteI love this!
DeleteLinda, barefoot conveys a sense of being carefree. Would that we all could be that way. I like the idea of standing in the gap for someone and the hope that someone would stand in the gap for me when I need it.
ReplyDeleteHere is the link to my post. Bob
https://arjeha.wordpress.com/2025/09/05/barefoot/
Linda, I love this idea of standing in the gap for others when they cannot. There is so much care in this gesture of praying for, poeming for, watching for, sharing with someone who is empty. I will continue to reflect on this. I have not been able to write my SJT post for September. But I hope to form words soon.
ReplyDeleteLinda, I have been trying to sneak in thoughts on your OLW, barefoot for over a week. Last night I fell asleep when I was almost finished so here I am. Thank you for all the background information, especially "standing in the gap". I feel fortunate that I have friends both near and far away that support me. I asked barefoot to join me as I recall the 9-day trip to honor my husband a month ago. My blog-post is on double duty today. https://beyondliteracylink.blogspot.com/2025/09/barefoot-at-beach.html
ReplyDeleteHi Linda, what a delightful post. Who knew there was such fun to be discovered in barefoot?
ReplyDeleteMy post combines your words of wisdom with those of Anne Lamott and Mother Teresa.
https://pleasuresfromthepage.blogspot.com/2025/09/sjt-barefoot-in-gap.html
Dear Linda... so, it's Saturday and I am late, again, to the SJT fellowship. But I'm here! I have lingered over your post, how you came up with barefoot for your inspirational word... yes, once we note a a word or thing, we see it recurring, and there's always something valuable to be found in it. Standing in the gap - what a powerful and beautiful lesson. So linked to purpose and "loving one another" as we are commanded to do. Thank for it - and for choosing "barefoot" as the theme, which provided the perfect opening to a spiritual journey I've been longing to share, regarding a long-awaited event for my family. Here's my post: https://litbitsandpieces.com/2025/09/06/barefoot-a-spiritual-journey/
ReplyDeleteFinally found some words— though the week’s heart breaks are sending me into a sad spin. I hope to get to everyone’s reflections as I hop on a train for the next few hours. https://patriciajfranz.com/standing-in-the-gap/
ReplyDelete