Thursday, September 4, 2025

Through a Lens of Love

Hello September Poets,

Sing with me, Try to Remember from the Fantastiks. It's such a lovely ballad.  

It is September and Molly from Nix the Comfort Zone gave this prompt to our Inklings:


I've been wanting to write a sonnet for a while. Sonnets are not fun for me to write. They take a long, long time! I draft, put away, read aloud & tinker, put away and repeat until I'm satisfied enough with words and syllable counts to call a sonnet finished. But, it's a great exercise of the brain. A sonnet is what came to mind with Molly's words, I'm aiming to look at the world through a lens of love these days. I just loved her words as a prompt.

email from Molly: These days, I

aim to see our world through a lens of love,

as bees buzz around the waking flowers

wooing us and some cooing mourning doves. 

Such dawn-soaked drunks can serenade for hours.

Summer mornings such as this are pure joy.

Coffee cup nearby — no shoes required.

If I could save this splendor to enjoy

I’d fill right up with love—stay inspired.

Above, a red September maple leaf

reminds me that there will soon come a pain

of mortality, and unyielding grief

that my besotted state cannot sustain. For now, my lens of love can only see

honeyed moments with these romantic bees. 


Linda Mitchell                                        9/5/25


Thank you, Margaret at Reflections on the Teche for hosting this week's round up. She's got a response to this prompt too!

To read how other Inklings responded to Molly's prompt check-in with:


Catherine Flynn @ Reading to the Core

Molly Hogan @ Nix the Comfort Zone
Heidi Mordhorst @ my juicy little universe

11 comments:

  1. Well done, Linda! I agree that sonnets can be tricky. I especially love that last line/stanza that brings it all together. "honeyed moments " is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness, this is a wonderful sonnet. I’ve only written one or two. They defeat me. I love how Molly’s words lead into this peaceful, joy-filled poem that does not deny that pain will come, but allows us to sit with honeyed moments.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wonderful!! Sigh . . . the sentiment reminds me a little of Frost's "Nothing Gold Can Stay." Love the "honeyed moments" too. *brava*

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful work, Linda. It is beautiful. I have never completed a sonnet. Maybe I should put it on my winter list of things to try. I'm sure I'll have trouble, though. Thanks for reminding us to look through a lens of love. ~ Carol Labuzzetta ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. No shoes required! Nice bit of barefootedness. "Besotted" is such a lovely word. Congrats on your sonnet success! That's still a dream for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh those "honeyed moments" ....ahhhh! You have some lovely word choice throughout your sonnet, Linda! I agree that they're very satisfying to write, and that they take a lot of time and tinkering! Yours works so well. It's an especially noticeable accomplishment at the beginning of a new school year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, despite some high-school-deep reaction against sonnets, you have succeeded in making me want to try one again! My favorite line is a diffeerent one:
    "Such dawn-soaked drunks can serenade for hours." Maybe if I engineer a dawn-soaked drunk I'll be able to sustain a sonnet...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Linda, I am swept away with your lens of love sonnet. You capture summer through honeyed moments. Each line is filled with precise word choice. I feel inspired to check out my butterfly bushes and its buzzing bee visitors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Really love this! With the eeee's in see, honeyed, and bees. And the "dawn-soaked drunks." Nice job. I always find sonnets and some other forms as like word puzzles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sonnets are my nemesis, too! Yours is wonderful. Those "honeyed moments" are worth savoring.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a lovely sonnet, Linda! It's an intimidating form to me. Huzzah on pulling it off! I love these lines:

    Above, a red September maple leaf
    reminds me that there will soon come a pain

    of mortality, and unyielding grief
    that my besotted state cannot sustain.

    And of course, the honeyed moments with romantic bees. Love!

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!