Thursday, July 20, 2023

Volunteer Zinnia

Happy Friday, Poets

Margaret has our round-up today at her blog, Reflections on the Teche

I find inspiration from Margaret's work. Poetry fits her life seamlessly. Whether she poems about her students, grandkids, a nearby oak tree, or the bayou...she brings us with her on her journey poetically. Thank you, friend.

The photo below is from  'This Photo Wants to be a Poem,' from Margaret's blog. Even though the purpose of the photo is to offer a quick, at-the-moment response, I like to take time with the image. The photos are any that she finds on her camera roll or on social media (shared with credit and permission).


I haven't been a consistent writer these days. I'd hoped summer would be more for writing but so much else has grabbed my time and attention. One way I ease back into writing is, to begin drafting with the words, "Today's poem is..." 




There is a new poem on WORD's padlet this week. 
It was inspired by the Teacher's Write 2023 haiku week prompts.


16 comments:

  1. I feel like you stepped directly into my shoes and wrote this poem for me. The beauty of nature offers its vibrance to me each day. I will keep walking. I will keep writing. I am buoyed by your friendship. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem captures reality so well, Linda! It reminds us that if we keep our hearts and minds open we can find the answers. Your finel "oh" says it all. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Today was already a bit too much." Wow. I love the unassuming tone of this poem, Linda. Thanks for dipping your toe into a poem even when there wasn't time. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just when you needed it, it was there! Love your taking some space outside, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the ending! I like that you found an opening with "Today's poem is..." I was just talking with my younger daughter yesterday about how I need an "in."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, what a sweet poem about the volunteer zinnia. I so love what you did with it, and the care you gave to drafting the poem. Your ending of the poem took my breath a bit, and I found myself there with you uttering "oh" -- so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, the need to step out, head down, tears welling--I'm holding you, friend.I'm glad you could excuse yourself, glad that when we "mind the grass" we ALWAYS find a volunteer ready to offer a breath.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely. And that ending. May there always be a side door, always be beauty for your heart when you wipe away the tears.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I love "volunteer beauty." I'm glad this poem got you back into writing. If you ever head over to GMU library to write, let me know. I'll meet you nearby for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  10. "Where this volunteer beauty grows." I love it, Linda! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I'm glad "Todays Poem" looped you in and that "oh" ending is lovely—And especially on those full-to-the-rim days writing a poem seems to collect and calm me, thanks Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  12. "Today was already / a bit too much" - yes, we all have those days. Thank goodness for the "volunteer beauty" . . .

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those "oh's" that surprise us are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you, Linda. Such mornings - the ugh and the drudge. You captured that struggle we get as creatives when things aren't bubbling freely. That flower is a beauty and a surprising star in your poem that we all need from time to time. And your Padlet vineyard words-to-stories poem is terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  15. A lovely poem, Linda, so well suited to Margaret's photo of this "volunteer beauty." I've begun to accept that I am pulled in too many directions this summer to write. Now, with August beginning, I need and want inspiration from other poets and so I'm checking out some PF blogs to get me going. It always works. ;) Thanks for yours.

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!