Thursday, July 6, 2023

SJT July '23

Hello July,

Thank you for your warm and bright sun.

I'm not at my writing spot at the moment. I'm in western New York with a huge pile of family celebrating a 60th anniversary along with assorted birthdays, graduations, engagements, and being together. Nothing could feel more sun-kissed, God-kissed than this.

Western New York is where I grew up. And, even though I cannot imagine living there now, it holds all the special places in my heart. I love to visit ghosts when I am there. But, what I lose is the anonymity of the observer I like to be. I am one of that community -- even if it's from a long time ago. It's difficult to sit on the edge and take notes instead of having opinions about Auntie's rhubarb pie or the tax rate or donations to the Blood Memorial Library, one of my first loves.

All of this time feeds my soul. And then, I so enjoy withdrawing to reflect. I scroll through my photos to see details I never did when aiming my camera. I collect receipts to throw away from all the places on my "must visit" list: ice cream place, a gas station that makes great subs, and drug store that my family used to own.

I drive past my childhood home and feel strange that I am now a stranger to it. 

This trip is easiest for me this summer season due to my work schedule. I know there are winters of return in my future. We are all getting older. 

For now, I am soaking up the beautiful sunshine and campfire song. 

old road...new journey
no map or compass needed
I'm returning home

Western New York in July





8 comments:

  1. Returning home in NYS is always fun in the summertime. You are doing a lot of rejoicing this vacation so soak it all in, Linda. Your ending poem is just right. When we went home for my Uncle's funeral, we also visited old haunts. Enjoy your time with family and soak up the sun and God-kissed happenings. Rhubarb pie takes me back to my Syracuse neighborhood when I was a kid. My friend's Mom made the best and I remember smelling it when I walked up her driveway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This resonates with me as I am in my home town to be with family and friends. Love this: "no map or compass needed".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda, it is amazing how with a seasoned eye we see things in old photos that we didn't see before. You have much to celebrate during these sun-kissed days as well as memories to reflect upon. We can never go home to the place and person we were before because our lives change. We can, however, go back and let long ago memories flood our minds and rejoice in the present.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda, I just traveled to and wrote about my grandparents' hometown...one of my favorite places on Earth, for many of the reasons you give here. It was the highlight of my childhood summers. I savor your opening paragraph about your gathering and this line, "Nothing could feel more sun-kissed, God-kissed than this." And I, too, love visiting ghosts. I think my particular ghosts look forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Returning home is bittersweet, isn't it? So many memories. If you are like me, they are dribbled with so much angst. I was a teenager full of it, so my old neighborhood, no matter how long it's been drums it up for me. I hope the distance of time helps you as you observe and reflect.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda: I love this visit to your old stomping ground, this time with family. Time to savor these old memories. Perhaps they will stir up a story or poem. Perhaps you will discover a viewpoint that will influence your path forward. I send you best wishes and thank you for these lovely God-kissed thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of visits to home among our group this month. I look forward to a visit home in September when I'll return for a 50th high school reunion. Love how you called your visit sun-kissed and God-kissed. Family, home, reunions, summer gatherings - all part of this joyous season.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a fondness for Western New York, too, as two sets of aunts/uncles/cousins lived there, thanks to jobs at Kodak! I always enjoyed visiting.

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!