Thursday, November 16, 2023

Folktale Week Poetry

How is Folktale Week going for you?

I've been squeezing time into life outside of work to read and think about fairy tales. I've enjoyed some old tales from this book in the public domain.

https://publicdomainreview.org/collection/old-french-fairytales-illustrated-by-virginia-frances-sterrett-1920/

Why do we humans love fairytales so much? Poet Zaro Weils says,

"For a well-told tale is the universal expression of imaginative communication, something which we humans = the great species of communicators - not just need, but are compelled to share...what greater goal can there be than to attract our young charges into a universe where we can sit together around the fire...lighting up ideas."

I love how shorter days and cooler nights nudge me to turn inward. These old stories are good company.

Some pantoum play from my Folk Tale Week morning writes. 

Folktale Week '23

I posted another poem from this week on Word's padlet. Word and I are in talks over what my O-L-W for 2024 should be. There are several possibilities. Word is an expert. I'm listening.

Irene Latham is hosting our round-up this week on her blog, Live Your Poem. Don't miss stopping by her post for lots of poetry goodness.

11 comments:

  1. Linda, "the sky was a spill of ink" is a brilliant line! LOVE! Maybe you and Word will choose something fairy/folk tale related? Something magical and dark and spilling ink? Can't wait to find out. (And I read that Zaro Weil post...so good!) xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I love this! How you used the form to really play with and extend the story is an absolute delight. Thank you for sharing, and happy Poetry Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting thought, Linda, that humans are compelled to share. Something about that feels so true and so far-reaching. For example, what happens to people who can’t share (with multiple meanings of the word share)? Wonderful pantoum! I also admire your line “the sky was a spill of ink.”

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that juicy ending! i wonder what word you will choose for next year? Whatever you pick, I'm sure you will run with it impressively.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some really intriguing elements in your poem, Linda. They kept looming into focus as I read. Your opening line reminds me of Alfred Noyes poem, The Highwayman. You shook us to attention with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Linda, I love this poem, wonder how it would be as a picture book, with the gorgeous images you've included illustrated? Fairy tales certainly continue to thrill me, love the magic of them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Linda, fun pantoum play you had this week. And the metaphor on your Word Padlet is so fun--what word play, like "hoists a jib" Argh, I forgot to write a small poem for each of the folk tale words this week. Oh, well, it was a busy week. Good for you, doing your morning writing each day, even on the busy ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your first line too- so visual, the mystery, the blessings, and like Linda B. see it as a picture book— What fun that may be… Have fun discovering a new word with word, thanks Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both wonderful poems, Linda -- it's always fun to visit Word at your padlet (will be sorry to see him go). Love the Weils quote too! ! ~ Jama

    ReplyDelete
  10. I played with the word list, chose to write with "ink" - but the state of the world took me to a darker, sadder space, so I didn't share that poem. I'm thinking I need a happier fairy tale right now! Thanks, Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Well, your first line is divine! Really love that!

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!