Hello Poets!
Happy November. I'm playing a trick--I'm not actually here. As you read this I'm at my state conference for school librarians talking about and learning best practices for how to library.
I love my state conference. I've been to the national conference many times and I find my state conference on par with the level of information and presentations. My conference is beautiful Williamsburg...a most wonderful living history museum.
November is my month to provide a prompt to the Inklings for writing. I chose to borrow a fun prompt from September's Ethical ELA writers, "What is the happiest thing you've ever tasted?" by Kelly Bigelow.
Bigelow lays out two steps for her prompt. "Step 1. Free write in response to the question, 'What is the happiest thing you've ever tasted?' Let yourself ramble on the page as you ponder this question."
"Step 2. Write the poem based on what you uncovered in your free write. This poem can be in any form or style of your choosing."
My response
A canceled flight :( Gives me time for Poetry Friday--see you on the interwebs.
Make sure to stop by Laura Salas' lovely website and blog for a weekend's serving of tasty poetry.
Do also visit the other Inklings for their poems in response to November's prompt:
Mary Lee Hahn @ A(nother) Year of Reading
Catherine Flynn @ Reading to the Core
Molly Hogan @ Nix the Comfort Zone
Margaret Simon @ Reflections on the Teche
Heidi Mordhorst @ my juicy little universe

Mmmmm, is right! I love how you incorporated baking terms throughout your poem. My response also speaks to the magic of chocolate chip cookies.
ReplyDelete💙 this line, "my bare feet dipped into brown sugar beach sand," it tastes yummy all the way through, and your ending too, lovely! Sending positive thoughts for safe travels!
ReplyDelete“Until we meet again” is a wonderful taste of freedom and a free calendar! Sorry about the flight cancellation. I’m worrying about my flight in a few weeks to Denver. Argh!
ReplyDeleteHA! At first I thought the speaker in the poem was a child. NOPE. Only a teacher could savor that chocolate chip cookie in such delicious (finally, gloriously free) details!!
ReplyDelete"Brown sugar beach sand" is a wonderful description! I'm not a teacher but a certified chocolate-chip-cookie fan, so I was right there with you. Thanks, Linda.
ReplyDeleteLove this! Echoing Susan's admiration for "brown sugar beach sand." You captured those end-of-school-year feelings so well.
ReplyDeleteAlso LOVE "brown sugar beach sand" so much, along with the "chips of until-we-meet-again"...this brings back all the teacher joy for me of the last day of school!!! Thanks so much, Linda!!!!
ReplyDeleteOh, Linda, this is delicious! I love the combo of the chocolate-chip cookie and the last day of school. The taste of happiness indeed!! And then, you top it all of with the sweetness of "brown sugar beach sand." LOVE!
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you weren't able to fly to see your dad, Linda. I'm hoping not to be grounded here in Florida. We (crossing fingers) fly home tomorrow. THanks for sharing your chocolate chip cookie. And I love those summer stars. Not just stars, but summer stars. Somehow, even though summer is a common word, I get a whole different vibe from that phrase!
ReplyDeleteDeliciousness packed in a poem! Love "brown sugar sand" and "soft biscuit of closed gradebook."
ReplyDeleteLinda, I'm stopping back in to ask about your flights. Where are you now, and have you been able to get to your dad/home?
ReplyDeleteI have loved the way your prompt has brought many taste-filled poems, Linda, including yours, that "picnic promise" especially. Sorry about the flight mess & best wishes getting it fixed!
ReplyDeleteSuch joy in your poem about freedom from work for a while. That is delicious! Glad you enjoyed your conference. When I worked in D.C. long ago I took a bus to Williamsburg and explored the historical sights. I wonder if it has been changed.
ReplyDeleteTerrific prompt and charming poem! I am sorry about your flight. This is such a ridiculous unnecessary problem that the regime has created. (I miss Pete Buttigieg!)
ReplyDeleteI love the prompt and will be noodling on it. I'm sorry your flight was cancelled.
ReplyDeleteI miss conferences - especially those I spoke at as a Master Gardener Volunteer - ten years ago now. Our State conference was as good as the International Conference in 2015. There is a lot of cameraderie at conferences. Your poem is yummy, with all the food references - including the brown sugar sand - love that! I hope you got home safely!
ReplyDeleteI have been trying to get back around to you all for days...this is lovely, in part because I can't tell if this speaker is a student or a teacher! I also love the brown sugar beach sand line. Lovely!
ReplyDelete