Friday, April 21, 2023

A Safe School

Hello Poets,

I am grateful for Eid. I am not Muslim. However, many of my students and their families are. My district has provided a holiday that allows them to celebrate today. I will use today to rest and catch up from busy spring activities -- maybe even weed my front walk which is growing toward jungle!

This morning, I took time to enjoy the poetry prompt at Ethical ELA. Poet, Darius, provided our prompt. His invitation was just what I needed this morning.


https://www.ethicalela.com/house-in-the-sky/

Yesterday, in the last period before dismissal, I had a negative interaction with some students. One student, in particular, was hateful. Since then, I've wondered what circumstances she has lived through to make her like that. What could I have done differently to provide a path for her to be at peace and ready to be a student engaged in learning? Sometimes, I am just baffled at all that I don't know...but wish I did.  This draft is for her. 

Draft. Linda Mitchell 4/21/23


Please pop over to Karen Edmistin's wonderful blog where she is hosting our round-up today. I so enjoy the poetry she finds and curates for herself and then shares with us. She is a good teacher. 

13 comments:

  1. "Come as you are, join the circle
    we wait for you to complete it"
    This poem is the manifestation of the safe energy that is you, Linda. All of your students feel it, but probably most especially this young lady. Sending you replenishing vibes today, my friend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your poem is so completely touching. It must be hard trying to penetrate the armor some people wear. Maybe it helped you to write this poem. I would like to know what your students might think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Linda, sometimes it is so hard to find that path "through" to help when they hide. You've shown it so well here. I'm sorry for the conflict & wonder why. That "a safe place, a yours place" - so thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful intention--all held together with stitches, which seem so fitting. I hope for this kind of school for all learners, and I'm glad you put this intention into the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Linda, what a beautiful poem for that troubled young girl. "Student do not worry / I will bind and stitch a school...a safe place / a yours place" So beautiful!

    What a great idea to give an Eid holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You're amazing, Linda. "join the circle / we wait for you to complete it" is stunning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This and you are a gift. She may have been hateful, but she knows you love her.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a perfect way to "bind and stitch" those 20-20 Hindsight thoughts and words: into a beautiful promise.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Linda. I love this. I love the repetition and I love thinking about a student completing the circle. I spent my day off revising my novel-in-verse and doing lots of gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your vision for a safe school! It's so hard to know how to be what kids need in that moment, and I'm still learning after so many years of teaching that it's usually not about me at all.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Linda, your poem made me cry as I thought about what a compassionate guide/librarian/teacher you are. What a good heart you have, to look beyond the hatefulness and wonder how that girl has ended up where she is. And then to know that the hatefulness doesn't have to be where she ends up, to strive for an environment that inspires change. Then I teared up again at your kind words at the end of your post. Thank you, friend. ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Linda - I'm sorry for the hatefulness, and admiring your ability to reflect on it. You are a good teacher, read: one who's heart breaks knowing that students carry unknown burdens that sometimes get in their, your way. Thank you for continuing to say Yes to this vocation.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Linda, the image of binding and stitching a place where students feel safe resonated with me. I wish educators were given more opportunity to craft the school environment.

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!