Thursday, April 13, 2023

Whee! Poetry Month Fun

Wheeee! Isn't Poetry Month fun?

Students at school are enjoying Poetry Tasting. Students select a menu that reviews figurative language (that they should know for upcoming state tests). Then my library partner and I serve poems and hot tea (one lump of sugar or two?) while listening to gentle music. Students read the poems from beginning to end and find the highlighted lines to identify the figurative language while commenting on what that language brings to the poem.



The walls of my school are also decked out with 'Poetry on the Walls,' Thank you, Tabatha.

Metaphor dice are at the ready in my library's maker station for even more poetry fun. 

Poetry Pandemonium (in its fifth year!) is off to a great start too! Students in the National Junior Honor Society selected poems from the big stash of poems I've been collecting since last April to compete against each other. The competition is not between the poem or poets--but rather the figurative language elements (again, review for upcoming testing never hurts).

This week, two Poetry Friday poet poems were matched up in a competition between repetition and rhyme. Students were asked to read each poem and vote for the figurative language they enjoyed the most.


Our first winner was, 'The Perfect Place,' by Janice Scully.

In between celebrations, I keep poeming. A recent Ethical ELA prompt asked poets to create poems similar to a nonet...but using only prime numbers. Remember, a prime number is a whole number greater than one whose only factors are one and itself. It's pretty fun.


But, wait--there's more! Our own Jone Rush MacCulloch is not only hosting our round-up today but has been teaching future teachers. She asked students to make poetry videos as an assignment. Imagine my delight when I listened to a poem of mine set to a video with music! So much fun. 

https://youtu.be/deg_ALVjaGk


Thanks, Jone. What a poetry boost!

Finally, there's a new poem on the padlet. WORD and I are rocking and rolling this month! https://padlet.com/mitchellhubeimom/word-bwfgg0bqmjhf62fd/wish/2553718398



17 comments:

  1. Linda, how you've woven poetry into your curriculum in fun and exploratory ways is impressive and joyful. Your love of teaching, poetry, and your students, shines through. Happy Poetry Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, how much fun is here! Tasting Poetry sounds like such an amazing time. What a sweet idea, especially with one lump or two? Poetry competitions, metaphor dice, and poetry on the walls. Teacher librarians are so important! Congratulations; that was fun to see the video of your Look! poem.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Word is certainly a good OLW for you, Linda. I think your in-school programs for NPM are so worthwhile. Tasting Poetry is great way to dig deeper into poems. I hope your students happily indulge in your tastings. Maybe you should share your program with the gift shop tea house in Manassas. Kids like to be recognized for the positive ways of delving into school projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A poetry tea sounds pretty perfect right now. Speaking of sounds, I am listening to toads trilling at the moment--jumpy brides and grooms for sure (our bullfrogs won't wed for another month or so.) Thanks for the poetry month postcard and the reprieve!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a post full of lovely "word(s)", Linda. I love yours about that bullfrog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tea & Poetry at school, how delightful and what a treat, they're very fortunate to have you! Love "Jilted" and "Look" is terrific, thanks for all Linda!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your post is brimming with pure, unadulterated poetry goodness, Linda. My guess is that the bride didn't find her bullfrog groom 'ribbiting'. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a poetry-palooza you've organized, Linda! Even though the bride got away, I always love listening to the party!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are truly an inspiration! So. Much. Poeming.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, lots going on with your students. Hooray for poetry!! LOVE the idea of poetry tasting (so civilized!), and your poem "Jilted" made me laugh. Thanks for the goodness here this week!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love all the poetic fun here, Linda. The voting is a fabulous idea. And "Jilted" is just
    a hoot! Or should I say a ribbet? Thanks for sharing your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Gosh Linda - your post is overflowing with poetry joy! Love JILTED! It's making me laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  13. My head is spinning with all the delights! Cute video, and I adore your jilted "prime fib," and what a lovely interlude, figurative language and tea! Lucky kids.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post is filled with poetry goodness, Linda! I envy your work and the joy you find in it! What lucky students! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. So much Poetry goodness! I loved the postcard you sent thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Poetry Pandemonium. I have to first say, I love this!

    Poor jilted bullfrog. It's too bad things didn't work out.

    Your Padlet is full of so many gems. What a great idea! So many poems in one space. A treat, for sure.

    ReplyDelete

Friendly, positive comments and feedback are always welcome here. Please let me know I'm not just whistling in the dark!